Speeches? (1 Viewer)

bright_angell

i mean speeches the module B speeches- some ppl are doing king lear-others speeches...and i dunno the other options- but i meant is there a discussion of this segment of the module in teh forum at all?

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
bright_angell said:
i mean speeches the module B speeches- some ppl are doing king lear-others speeches...and i dunno the other options- but i meant is there a discussion of this segment of the module in teh forum at all?
well we can make this a discussion forum on the module...

anything in particular u wish to discuss.. or at the moment ur just refering to something in general about the module?

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
bright_angell said:
im just wondering why theres so much on king lear and not much on speeches
maybe it's just because most BOS membes are doing the king lear option and not many are doing speeches...

well.. anyways...

do u have an assessment on speeches?...

i find some of the speeches boring, others are exciting/powerful/passionate...etc.
anyways... ur thread seems like a good place to start and maybe attract more people doing this elective... and perhaps share ideas and help each other out...

bright_angell

4 sure...i just dont know how to start the thread thats all- i wouldnt type in my assessment question for example- lol

AbeGettysburg

HSC
speeches

the 12 speeches for Module B r a bit of a shock to system at first but after a while the language techniques and style of rhetoric (as in persuasive argument) begin to make sense.

i try to understand the theme (message) of each speech, the language techniques used (repetition, alliteration, hyperbole etc.) and how the structure of the speech contribues to the persuasive argument (rhetoric)

As an example Lincoln's speech is structured in the past, present and future. He links all of these to inspire his audience. the key to speeches is finding out what techniques the speaker uses to impact (effect) the audience.

Lincoln and socrates are my 2 favourites. goldman interesting and king's rich with imagery.

study guides are a good way to get your head around this topic.
good luck!

Abtari

HSC
ummm, is rhetoric the way a speech is structured or...?

can someone pls explain what this term means, in the context of the speeches module ( i know there are many definitions..)

d_a_n_z

HSC
Readings?

Just wondering...do people seem o be finding stuff on the "Readinsg of the speeches? Because i understood taht to be the focus of the module...but my teacher hasnt given us any information about particualr readings, and noone on the net has stuff?

dramaqueen462

Um in relation to your query about the readings of speeches, or more precisely the receptions, we've touched on that in class, but i don't think its overly important. I mean i can fairly safely say there probably won't be a question related to it, though I think a bit of knowledge would help in relation to the context in which the speech was written/read. For example Kings speech- its important to acknowledge the white and black members of the audience, because he refers to them himself. But if you mean readings in the aspect of say a feminist reading or a marxist reading etc thats the old sylabus :D

L

Lord_Auggh

According to my teacher, you need to talk about:

- What the values of the speech are;

- What techniques are used to privilege these values;

- The response of people in the speech's context (eg for Lincoln the response of people, newspapers etc during the civil war)

- Response in a modern context e.g how King's speech is viewed today

- Whether the speech is relevant to modern society (HOW???)

- Your personal response to the speech

If you can include all these, you should be cheering :)

By the way, there's only 40mins that should be given to answering the question on this Module, so write your own personal responses beforehand so you're not deciding in the exam room. I've been told to know 3 speeches really well, and a little about the others (a few quotes, techniques and personal response) to make it simpler to study. Speaking of which, I should really start studying for the trials (1 week...aaaaaggh!)

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
AbeGettysburg said:
the 12 speeches for Module B r a bit of a shock to system at first but after a while the language techniques and style of rhetoric (as in persuasive argument) begin to make sense.

i try to understand the theme (message) of each speech, the language techniques used (repetition, alliteration, hyperbole etc.) and how the structure of the speech contribues to the persuasive argument (rhetoric)

As an example Lincoln's speech is structured in the past, present and future. He links all of these to inspire his audience. the key to speeches is finding out what techniques the speaker uses to impact (effect) the audience.

Lincoln and socrates are my 2 favourites. goldman interesting and king's rich with imagery.

study guides are a good way to get your head around this topic.
good luck!
I dislike Luther King's. I found it inspiring a few years ago however after reading about how much he ripped off the bible and how he was the figurehead of a movement that had so many other notables (that didn't get mentioned - much like Nelson Mandala).
Cicero is cool though. I love McAleese, the points she makes hardly anyone stops to think about. And we should think about them.
Goldman is particularly relevant in the aftermath of the London bombings....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)