Speed in other states (1 Viewer)

Darcy111

HSC
So i'm a p-plater, and my speed limit is 90 kph.
if i were to drive in say, victoria where p-platers can travel the speed limit, am i allowed to travel at that speed?
i talked to the local RTA and they had no idea so yeah
also, if i'm caught speeding in vic, do i lose my licence?

Leo 100

HSC
N/A
Darcy111 said:
So i'm a p-plater, and my speed limit is 90 kph.
if i were to drive in say, victoria where p-platers can travel the speed limit, am i allowed to travel at that speed?
i talked to the local RTA and they had no idea so yeah
also, if i'm caught speeding in vic, do i lose my licence?
you caught speeding anywhere you lose it

osamabanana

HSC
I believe that your speed limit would still apply theoretically however since those states don't have p plater specific speed limits no cop would pull you up for it as they wouldn't know to. However if you were caught speeding in a 100 zone for example at 110 id suggest it would count as 20 over rather than 10.

I dunno if this is correct though

Peartie

HSC
I drove from Sydney to Perth when on my P's and was told that i have to stay at the speed limit stated on my license (ie 90kph)

but that being said in the states where P Platers can go @ the speed limit then unless its a real bastard of a cop I doubt you'll get pulled over...but technically you are meant to stay at your speed limit...

Nashie

Ace up my sleeve
HSC
I know when i was on my Vic Ls from Melbourne to Canberra in dad's NSW plated company car I didn't get pulled over and I was doing 110 (no speed limit for vic Ls but 80 for NSW) and I had cops pass me etc without a second look

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
if you have a NSW licence plate, they'll probably still check eh?
i was talking to a mate of dads, he's an ex-cop in nsw, vic and ACT, he reckons the legislation is kinda a bit hazy. Like, if i'm a red p-plater in NSW and i'm driving in Vic at 100 kph, technically they should book you, but the paperwork and the legal proceedings and such are too much an effort, and often if you take it to court you will get out of it anyway. He said something about you being a "guest" on their roads and that you have to abide by their laws. idk.
so yeah.

nick3157

Not Actually A Member
HSC
im pretty sure u can drive the speed limit. think about it u have to obey the laws of that state and surely that includes the speed limit no matter what the law is back in nsw?

sparkerasp

HSC
nick3157 said:
im pretty sure u can drive the speed limit. think about it u have to obey the laws of that state and surely that includes the speed limit no matter what the law is back in nsw?
No you can't drive at the signposted limit, but you do obey the laws of that state.

You ALWAYS follow the speed limit from your licence ie. if you are a NSW red/green P-plater and you drive in ACT or Victoria, you MUST still do 90/100 km/h as a maximum speed limit.

However, if you are an ACT/Victorian L/P plater where you are allowed to travel at the signposted speed limit, then you are also authorised to travel at the signposted speed limit in other states.

It's a really bad system, but the only advantage for some people in certain states is that they can drive faster on highways.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
TBH Its just NSW's system is retarded. L platers I can undestand but the fact is all 110 km/h roads, and most 100 km/h roads are very easy to drive on.

nick3157

Not Actually A Member
HSC
fair enough i spose its a condition of your licence, not a general road rule.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)