Speed of Light (1 Viewer)

Krangelus

i am a tiger
HSC
N/A
if i teleported myself 2000 light years away, and if i got a telescope and honed in on earth would i see 2000 years ago in the past?

PublicEnemy

HSC
we were discussing this in sportslife &reck. one girl said that you could not becuz the earths atomic number or something. there was another girl in the class she is so smart and bewtiful. do you guys think i should ask her out?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
For all intents and purposes yes, slight changes due to objects in the way such as dust, and gravitational lensing will all slightly alter the velocity of the light

jamesy_1988

HSC
it think that it would be possible if you could get you there quick enough. because you would theoretically be looking back in time

I think that it is right

jamesy

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
yes, but no one can actually teleport...

edit: nothing moves faster than spd of light in vacuum (becomin cliched already...)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
True Xiao, but what if you just take a shorter route through curved space-time ;)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Stargate isn't really what I meant.

Requires too much negative energy. And the amount of negative energy requires a pretty precise balance.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
It's all theoritical at the moment.
And science changes.

We could totally wrong about the speed of light.

Remember the saying:
In Theory - Practise and Theory are the same.
In Practise - Those two are totally different.

So theoritically you're correct, but maybe in practise your not.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
If for example you had some instantenous communication (telepathy say) with a twin 2000 light years away. If you asked him what he saw through a telescope, then yes, he should see the Earth 2000 years ago. But there would be no way for you to get there to see it.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Well there can be. Just not practically or currently possible.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Well, yeah, was reffering to the present. I suppose there is no such thing as "never" in Science.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Well to keep the wormhole's open and to stop it collapsing into a blackhole when a human walks through, it requires the equivalent in negative energy of what you would get of normal energy if you liberated all the mass of Jupiter into energy. Practically near impossible.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
You wont be able to without leaving the frame of reference. Since acceleration requires a change in velocity.

If you re-enter the same of refrence after taking a shorter path then light then you can see yourself as the light reaches where you just are.

TimeAndTide

Kage Bunshin No Jutsu
HSC
Ahhh...it was a rhetorical question. Sorry for making you answer it :p.

Just trying to point outthat this can't be done cos you cant see yourself in the past.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
But you can in theory. A human will most likely never see themselves, but an atom might.

Also there would be a point inside a blackhole where the light would bend itself around and you could see yourself. Of course that would involve crushing you into a insey pulp.

TimeAndTide

Kage Bunshin No Jutsu
HSC
Well, the whole hypothesis is wrong, since you can't see in the past. Time is always moving forward, in any frame of reference.

In theory eh? I'll become a scientist to prove you wrong, come back here, and laugh at you. Wait here.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Well you can see into the past.

Look up of a night time, it takes time for the light to get here, hence you are seeing into the past.

To see into Earths past you must move away, at a velocity (not speed) faster then light, by exploiting tunnels through the warped space time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)