Speed Reading for UMAT (1 Viewer)

RyBo

HSC
I have read a few posts (not on this forum) by year 12 leavers who have sat UMAT, and they said one of the biggest issues is that they didn't have enough time to properly read and thus answer all questions. :eek:

Most of these year 12's said that a speed reading course would have improved their marks because they would have actually finished the test and would have had time to properly understand all questions rather than just skimming through.

Were these people just slow readers or is this a common problem??

If so, should I start speed-read training?

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Ummm, yes.

Although:

reading the question =/= answering the question

Look at 4U maths...

RyBo

HSC
I agree some people, given an hour, will still answer a question incorrectly. Most will however read it, read it again and choose the right answer. Also 4U Maths?? I assume this is another forum.
(sorry i'm from QLD, we have Maths B, Maths C and no student forum)

ishq

brown?
HSC
Its not so much speed reading, as comprehending what you are reading.

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
I think the point gav was making is that in 4U maths (the highest level of HSC maths), the questions aren't all that long - it's not a lack of reading time that causes people not to finish, but the difficulty.
UMAT has more reading involved but the same principle applies. Still, i guess if you have to spend less time reading, you have more thinking time, but realistically it's not that much gained and you could push yourself to read quickly without doing a course. As ishq says, comprehending is more important than fast reading.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Forget spead reading. If slowly reading will facilitate understanding, then read slowly.

The faster you read a question, the less likely you are to understand and so correctly answer it.

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
yeh im working on my 'speed answering correctly' instead :p

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
That's more like it. ;)

Also, do NOT second guess yourself. If, after reading a question, understanding it and giving an answer you go "oh wait, maybe it's THIS one" DON'T CHANGE IT!

Unless you are absolutely certain that the first was a mistake, or just plain stupid, or that you totally misunderstood the question, you were probably right the first time. Trust your instincts! There just isn't enough time to debate with yourself the relative merits of either answer, pick one and move on.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i do think speed reading is important to a certain extent. I consider myself a 'fast reader' and I found myself short of time (but that was partly cos I was distracted by thought of how urgently I needed to go to the loo half the time!). Speed reading not only increases your speed of reading but also informtion retention rates so would be quite useful in the UMAT, but as others have said...as long as you don't rush.

I found a good file a while ago here it is...it's quite complicated and I only got through half way but I think it would serve everyvody well to have a glance at least.

RyBo

HSC
Thanks inasero, this course looks AWESOME.

like I said earlier, I believe the reason someone gets a question wrong is a combination of several factors, not just if they are 'smart enough'.
-amount it time it takes to read and understand the ques
-amount of time it takes to logically check each choice
-amount of time it takes to test/check the selected answer

If you don't have enough vocab, understanding will be reduced
If you don't think logically, checking and testing each answer will be slow
If your not concentrating (because your worrying about time), all three will be slow
If you read slowly, you will not have enough time to understand the quest, or check the options, or test the answer.

That is why I worry about reading time.
Less time spend reading means more times to choose the right answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)