speeding, don't know if I got caught or not (1 Viewer)

konkzz

HSC
Okay, so I drove through a school zone the other day on a main road and made sure I was under 40km/h (it was during school hours). However, it stretched on for longer than I expected and I think I may have accelerated too soon to about 50km/h (possibly) but definitely nothing over that. I think it was more 40 -46 km/h. That area has cameras but I don't know if I got flashed or not. It was the first day, back to school.

It has been about a week now and I haven't got anything in the mail. How long does it take for the ticket to come? My parents told me a week.

Bananaberry

HSC
Okay, so I drove through a school zone the other day on a main road and made sure I was under 40km/h (it was during school hours). However, it stretched on for longer than I expected and I think I may have accelerated too soon to about 50km/h (possibly) but definitely nothing over that. I think it was more 40 -46 km/h. That area has cameras but I don't know if I got flashed or not. It was the first day, back to school.

It has been about a week now and I haven't got anything in the mail. How long does it take for the ticket to come? My parents told me a week.
No, sometimes they take forever.

HSC
How about you wait another week? No one can tell you whether a ticket is coming or not.

konkzz

HSC
Yeah, I know that - it's just I have been tense the whole week. Sort of expected today but it didn't come. Don't want it to ruin the remainder of my holidays as well.

Just wanted to know other people's experiences for how long it took them to get a ticket, so I can expect it by a certain time or not (if i didn't get a ticket).

i'll try to relax for the time being.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Look on the plus side, the fine won't be that much. Also keep in mind if you are used to driving at 50km/h on your speedo, chances are your real speed was only about 46km/h... and then if you were just accelerating, who knows, maybe it was really only 43km/h or so in which case you're unlikely to get booked.

Don't worry. if it happens it does. If not don't sweat :)

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Most of the new school zone cameras are piezo electric, there will be cuts in the road where the sensors are, go back and check where they are.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Most of the new school zone cameras are piezo electric, there will be cuts in the road where the sensors are, go back and check where they are.

How do those even work, to bad if someone jumped or something on the switch and triggered it.

konkzz

HSC
I think there is one camera on the one side of the road and three on the other. I was on the side with the one camera. It's the woodville rd one at villawood, where bing lee is.

yeah, i'll try to relax. thing is i didn't see a flash or anything, i just looked down at my speedometer and i was like CRAP, then decelerated , don't know if I got caught and don't know where the camera was when that happened.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
How do those even work, to bad if someone jumped or something on the switch and triggered it.
lol you need more pressure than that. Also how is someone going to jump on one without getting hit by a car durrrrrrr.

Weight of car on piezo strip creates electrical current.
2 strips known distance apart.
time between currents.

speed = d/t

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I was going to say yes a lot more weight would be required.... but also note there is probably no flash if it's during the daytime.

lol you need more pressure than that. Also how is someone going to jump on one without getting hit by a car durrrrrrr.
At least they're probably doing under 40km/h :)

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
pop a mono when your front goes over the first strip so it gets 3 readings instead of 4 and omgggggg

to answer OP: 6-8 weeks. Another 6 weeks to pay it, another month for the suspension.

If you can, pay the fine <2 weeks before you get your green p's (ie get green p's within 2 weeks of getting the fine).

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I was going to say yes a lot more weight would be required.... but also note there is probably no flash if it's during the daytime.

At least they're probably doing under 40km/h :)
For 40 zones you don't need a flash in the daytime, but two things:
At high speed you need to take the photo with sufficiently high speed so the numberplate doesn't blur, so they may still need a flash.

I think they always flash though because it is just easier than programming it to change when the flash activates throughout the year. It could have a light sensor, I suppose, but with these they have to take the shot asap so it is more likely a set focus/aperture and always flashes.

Apparently many cameras are using infrared flashes nowadays though, so it doesn't fuck your vision at night.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
I thought IR cameras are so they can get your pic in rain/fog instead of getting a reflection of the flash.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
For 40 zones you don't need a flash in the daytime, but two things:
At high speed you need to take the photo with sufficiently high speed so the numberplate doesn't blur, so they may still need a flash.

I think they always flash though because it is just easier than programming it to change when the flash activates throughout the year. It could have a light sensor, I suppose, but with these they have to take the shot asap so it is more likely a set focus/aperture and always flashes.

Apparently many cameras are using infrared flashes nowadays though, so it doesn't fuck your vision at night.
Interesting... in Singapore on the way to Changi Airport (not sure if anyone here knows the long strip I'm talking about) we were tailing a Volvo at night which got flashed and the flashes there are blinding. When I say blinding, you'd think it was daytime for a second when those flashes go off at night. It's dazzling and dangerous but I suppose it acts as a good way of reminding people who didn't know there are cameras ahead.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I thought IR cameras are so they can get your pic in rain/fog instead of getting a reflection of the flash.
Nah its so they can take front on pictures without blinding people, I'm not sure how transparent fog/water are to infrared.

Edit: Just tested, water is transparent to infrared but I imagine rain would still have the problem of the light being scattered everywhere.

Last edited:

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
Yeah, I know that - it's just I have been tense the whole week. Sort of expected today but it didn't come. Don't want it to ruin the remainder of my holidays as well.

Just wanted to know other people's experiences for how long it took them to get a ticket, so I can expect it by a certain time or not (if i didn't get a ticket).

i'll try to relax for the time being.

took me six weeks

Izzay

Wassup MTV
HSC
N/A
business law lecturer told me in her dealings with the RTA she found that people who are fined for the first time usually have the fine dropped if they send a letter to the RTA pleading their regret/remorse or watnot. don't know about points though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)