Speedy help required to assist in my subject selections for Year 11 (1 Viewer)

Hills29

HSC
I need urgent advice. I find all of these subjects fairly interesting, so from that point of view I wouldn't either way. However, in your opinion, what would be the most practical study plan from the following:

English Advanced + Extension
Maths General
Economics
Ancient History
Biology
Modern History

OR

English Advanced + Extension
Maths General
Economics
Ancient History
Biology
PDHPE

I have a feeling it would perhaps be a little more consistent of a study pattern to have the latter?? With having PDHPE in there. I am fit and love sport, though I have a few doubts about the overall enjoyability of PDHPE syllabus?? What do you think?

youngsky

poof
HSC
Tbh I don't do PDHPE myself but I know a lot who do - apparently the course is mostly theory, with very little physical activities involved. Though if you do genuinely love PDHPE it's worth giving a shot.

Can't say much about Modern History though.

enoilgam

HSC
What subject do you think you will do better in and what do you want to do at uni.

skrye4

HSC
You do Ancient so I'm guessing you enjoy history somewhat, so modern wouldn't be too much of a drag. Also, those two would help each other for the document studies and essays, and you'd have pretty much twice as much practice for your essay writing skills. That being said, you've gotta memorise tons of sources and stuff for modern, so doing that as well as the ancient memorisation might drive you crazy. But PE (like every HSC subject) is made up of memorisation, so it's really about what type of memorisation you think you'll find most bearable.

That being said, scaling is also important. If you come in the top 25% of PDHPE students in the state you get 31 points per unit towards your ATAR. Top 25% of Modern and you get 35.2 points per unit. That's a difference of 8.4 points towards your 'aggregate.' So you'll have to rank better in PE to get the same ATAR outcome as in modern.

Source: page 44 of http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2012-ScalingReport.pdf

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think both subject selection patterns seems to be quite fine-you can actually develop a consistent study pattern for any combination of subjects over the next two years, and it is evident you yourself are leaning towards the latter. If you are unsure about what you will be learning in the PDHPE syllabus, go to the board of studies and just have a read, or alternately, just borrow a preliminary textbook from the library. There is a lot of theory in both PDHPE and Modern History. Just go with the subject combination you like better-because that way, you are likely to excel in it:) Best wishes for the next two years-may you enjoy your studies:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)