Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Sports-Luxury

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Neither

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

w2dot

HSC
Do you prefer sports, luxury, both combined or neither?

I'm a luxury person

lengy

HSC
New Camry Sportivo... with 3.5 litre Dual Direct Injected VVTi V6 engine.

CieL

HSC
I like a bit of both.

To drive something in comfort.............with some grunt =]

I still love my Euro...

CieL

HSC
Dude, you two are practically the same age..

But it's hard to define what is truly sports and what is truly luxury.....

Where would a dc5r be?
It's sorta sports... but not exactly kaboom performance... and it has the luxury of having an airconditioner... and *drool* recaro seats... I reckon those seats feel better than leather seats from a top end european "luxury" car...

Jiga

I prefer Sports... of course everyone would prefer Luxury as well, but usually that comes with a hefty price tag to.

New Camry Sportivo... with 3.5 litre Dual Direct Injected VVTi V6 engine.
Lol where did that come from out of the blue! Anyway, its the Aurion with the 3.5L... the Camry is a POS with only like 120kw

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Why not both?

For example the RS4, great car. Luxurious, agile and powerful. Beautiful car.

Jiga

^

Because as I said they cost a fortune!

Really general example...

GTS (Sports) $70k vs RS4 (Sports/Luxury) $150k or whatever

Luxury cost a fortune, and personally Im not wiling to pay that much so I have a a seat with an integrated arse warmer or lights that turn on automatically when its dark, ffs dont be lazy. Kinda unrelated, I was saying to my friend other day, alot of these new things are great now, but come 5+ years down the track... everyone is going to be pissed off with the cost of fixing minor problems which disable their cars like for example a minor electrical fault stuffing up its drive by wire or whatever

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think the best word is "Performance" as opposed to just "Sports".

I like a bit of both as well (what a fence sitter) as I'm not too fond of sitting in the bare-bones super-fast kind of car... that being said, I am saving up for an Evo or something to that effect.

lengy

HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
I prefer Sports... of course everyone would prefer Luxury as well, but usually that comes with a hefty price tag to.

Lol where did that come from out of the blue! Anyway, its the Aurion with the 3.5L... the Camry is a POS with only like 120kw
What I want to do is to put that engine into the Camry...

Jiga

^

Yeah... I think the Camry looks alittle better, but the Aurion is alright.

I think the best word is "Performance" as opposed to just "Sports".

I like a bit of both as well (what a fence sitter) as I'm not too fond of sitting in the bare-bones super-fast kind of car... that being said, I am saving up for an Evo or something to that effect.
Yeah well when you look at an Evo that is rough around the edges, something like a GTS etc has loads of performance while still not being 'luxury', but its as luxurious as you will ever NEED in a car. Like I said, I dont need an arse warmer to drain my cars battery, climate control etc is the limit of my needs at least.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
^

Yeah... I think the Camry looks alittle better, but the Aurion is alright.

Yeah well when you look at an Evo that is rough around the edges, something like a GTS etc has loads of performance while still not being 'luxury', but its as luxurious as you will ever NEED in a car. Like I said, I dont need an arse warmer to drain my cars battery, climate control etc is the limit of my needs at least.
Good point.

All i really need is leather and i'm set.

CieL

HSC
S1M0 said:
Good point.

All i really need is leather and i'm set.
So you'd drive a nugget with leather?

I know I wouldnt... I'd be sooooo frustrated with the car... "MOOOOOve goddamit!!"

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
LOL I haven't experienced "uber uber luxury" before, but after sitting in some cars, I definitely can see the difference between the <$100k luxury and the >$250k+ range.. seat warmers, leather seats, etc... those aren't really the items which (IMO) constitute luxury. It's more of the whole package which changes the way you do things rather than just improving the comfort.

Eg. A C class Benz comes standard with mobile phone preparation kit (well it did last time I checked)... whereas our 7 series came standard with 3 phones built in. See the difference?

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
CieL said:
So you'd drive a nugget with leather?

I know I wouldnt... I'd be sooooo frustrated with the car... "MOOOOOve goddamit!!"
Assuming that its a decent car of course.

A HSV would be the perfect car for me :)

lengy

HSC
I've been in my friend's Mercedes Benz ML and I can tell you it wasn't the interior I was impressed with, it was how flawlessly fast and smooth the SUV accelerated and that car is big. I guess the seats must have been good too cause I didn't even register it accelerating if not for looking at the speedometer. I guess that's the price of luxury in that the cars will have heaps of power but it's very comfy to drive. I guess I too prefer a comfy ride.

It's like what Jeremy Clarkson said about the baby DB9, when you're not accelerating heavily it's quiet but as soon as you floor the pedal you hear this mighty roar from the engine. This is the car I want where when you're driving normally it's passive but when you want power it gives it too you and tells everyone else to get out of your way. I prefer sleepers.

Jiga

LOL I haven't experienced "uber uber luxury" before, but after sitting in some cars, I definitely can see the difference between the <$100k luxury and the >$250k+ range.. seat warmers, leather seats, etc... those aren't really the items which (IMO) constitute luxury. It's more of the whole package which changes the way you do things rather than just improving the comfort.

Eg. A C class Benz comes standard with mobile phone preparation kit (well it did last time I checked)... whereas our 7 series came standard with 3 phones built in. See the difference?
I see a difference... a ridiculously stupid difference. Why the hell would you need 3 phones? Limozenes (spellin) dont even have that many phones. Personally I think the era of the Luxury car, esp expensive ones, is coming to an end. I say this because the gap between cheaper and more expensive ones gets smaller, previously luxury car features like stability control, lights that turn on automatically, wipers that turn on automatically, heated seats etc etc etc are now seen in cars 1/4 of the price of these other 'luxury' cars. And the thing is, I cant see luxury car manufacturers creating many new things, what could they possible do now? There isnt much more room for it now, well at least for useful innovation... which isnt having 3 phones in a car lol. I recon they are and will continue to start placing more emphasis on the brand image, it will be more so then ever about paying $100k+ for the name, then the features. One obvious example would be Toyota and Lexus, the Aurion, it has virtually the same engine as its Lexus equivalent (only difference is the Lexus has direct injection I believe... everyone else is the same, including the transmission) and the features on the higher Aurion models are comparable to the Lexus. Yet you pay say $50k for the top of the line Aurion while you pay $80k+ for the Lexus. That $30k difference is purely for the Lexus name.

Last edited by a moderator:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Schoolies_2004 said:
I see a difference... a ridiculously stupid difference. Why the hell would you need 3 phones? Limozenes (spellin) dont even have that many phones. Personally I think the era of the Luxury car, esp expensive ones, is coming to an end. I say this because the gap between cheaper and more expensive ones gets smaller, previously luxury car features like stability control, lights that turn on automatically, wipers that turn on automatically, heated seats etc etc etc are now seen in cars 1/4 of the price of these other 'luxury' cars. And the thing is, I cant see luxury car manufacturers creating many new things, what could they possible do now? There isnt much more room for it now, well at least for useful innovation... which isnt having 3 phones in a car lol. I recon they are and will continue to start placing more emphasis on the brand image, it will be more so then ever about paying $100k+ for the name, then the features. One obvious example would be Toyota and Lexus, the Aurion, it has virtually the same engine as its Lexus equivalent (only difference is the Lexus has direct injection I believe... everyone else is the same, including the transmission) and the features on the higher Aurion models are comparable to the Lexus. Yet you pay say $50k for the top of the line Aurion while you pay $80k+ for the Lexus. That $30k difference is purely for the Lexus name.
On a specsheet, there's no reason to go for a luxury sedan over the conventional normal one. Honestly speaking, until you've driven a real luxury sedan, you never really realise. That being said, whether it's worth the hefty price tag or not is another matter.

If you look at the Top Speed thread, I posted a pic a while back of my uncle doing 220ish? I was still able to hold my cameraphone (Samsung D600) stable to take a photo of the speedo from the back seat. That was one of our older 7 series (only a 740iL) and even that had the whole "you don't even notice you're moving" feeling.

As for the 3 phones... to be honest, I'm not really sure either. I understand the need to have one built into the dash and the one built into the rear for the passengers travelling in different areas. Not sure why they'd have one in the centre console AND the front dash- bear in mind though, the one in the centre console CAN be removed (ie. portable)... so that could be why? *shrugs* They were very crappy phones though so we never take them out in public >__>

Some of the other features are nice though... the stock sound system pretty much pwns everything I've ever heard before in a car. The fully adjustable electronic seats with footrest and massage are nice (front and back), the integrated fridge is also quite nice. TV is kindof useless since it turns off once you drive (ie. noone else in car can watch- and we are yet to find anyone who can disable this feature), satnav is useless since it doesn't work in Malaysia.. umm... but I guess like you said, it's the brand. The features themselves are good but definitely don't justify the price tag.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
Cars such as the 7-series is designed for social status more than anything else. Its designed for rich guys who can afford such a car, and thus on the road they are given the perception that they're better thananyone else i guess. Yeah, i agree with what you're saying here.

Social status is the predominant factor in any car.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)