Square root of complex numbers... I need... help... (1 Viewer)

zoeeoz18

HSC
SQUARE ROOT OF COMPLEX NUMBERS.... I need help...

ok so, I'm having a lot of trouble with this area, does anyone happen to have a good way of solving them? I've tried the quadratic formula one but I keep getting stuck at a certain point :(

Finding the square roots of 2-√5i is definitely one of the questions that I keep getting wrong.

:)

psmao

HSC
for these type of questions, you just need "find z strategy".
let
and then expand, by equating the real parts and imaginary parts you should be able to get two equations about x and y
now all you need to do is to solve simultaneously.

try some exercise and hopefully you can figure it out.
I was confused initially as well but after I realised complex number is basically just let z=x+iy, then it becomes so easy to me.

this technique can also be used when sketching them but it will come later.

GLHF

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I like the method in Terry Lee's text:

@Zoee: You may find this solution more confusing than helpful at this stage of your learning complex numbers. But, when you finally get on top of it, you'll find this method elegant and brief. But you have to be good in algebraic fiddling.

Last edited:

Arrowshaft

HSC
SQUARE ROOT OF COMPLEX NUMBERS.... I need help...

ok so, I'm having a lot of trouble with this area, does anyone happen to have a good way of solving them? I've tried the quadratic formula one but I keep getting stuck at a certain point :(

Finding the square roots of 2-√5i is definitely one of the questions that I keep getting wrong.

:)
I'm gonna teach you the 'normal' way of doing it, Drongoski showed you the shortcut, I'm building off of Psmao's method.

So, we are given that

Now remember that the complex number can be expressed as where ,

Now, equate the real and imaginary components, first the real ones:

Imaginary:

From we see that,

Now substitute this into to yield,

Note that the polynomial above is a quadratic in , so use the quadratic formula,

Since , this means that we take the positve solution

From this means,

Therefore,

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Well - you can compare the "normal" method with the "abnormal" method. If you can manage the shorter method, would you want to go through the rigmarole of the "normal" method, unless the question mandates this approach.

Arrowshaft

HSC
Well - you can compare the "normal" method with the "abnormal" method. If you can manage the shorter method, would you want to go through the rigmarole of the "normal" method, unless the question mandates this approach.
agreed. Just wanted to give him an idea of the other option :)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I didn't mean to criticise your method. It is, after all, the standard method. But for simple cases, the "Terry Lee" method is really short. But I bet many will find it hard, unless they are handy with algebraic fiddling.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)