SRC Elections 2005 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
wikiwiki said:
The presidential candidate is in one of my tutes.

Stupid just doesn't cut it.

I think I just figured out what Keep Left actually stands for.

Best. Post. Evar.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Phanatical said:
Comparing myself to Rose Jackson is just one argument as to how Affirmative Action is a flawed (at best) policy. If we have AA for women, why not AA for men? Why not AA for Asians? Why not AA for Affiliate campus students? Why not AA for goth lesbians? Why not AA for cannibals? The point is that Affirmative Action cannot work, for the simple fact that it creates a division where none should exist. This is why I'm also opposed to the maintenance of the Women's Officer, and why I support a "Gender Issues and Equal Opportunty Officer" - Something is obviously wrong when it's a policy of the NUS that representation for men is (and this is a direct quote) "symptomatic of a Backlash Society".
As such you have little right to point out how disadvantaged you are compared to Rose based on your economic, racial, physcical - whatever factors. This includes being a con student.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
My criticism was legitimate. It was not a criticism that Rose is more advantaged than me, but that measures exist to make life even easier for her.

THAT said, as a Con student I feel that students at affiliated campuses DO have a legitimate complaint about the SRC. The solution for them though is not to sit at the outskirts of the SRC, but to have their own.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Phanatical said:
THAT said, as a Con student I feel that students at affiliated campuses DO have a legitimate complaint about the SRC. The solution for them though is not to sit at the outskirts of the SRC, but to have their own.
But not ALL con students are disadvantaged! No special rights! Why should I have to pay for a minorty etc etc. Why should those con students who are not disadvantaged but were rather born with silver spoons up their arses get assistance!?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
There is a distinction between supporting women and not men, and supporting one campus of the University, and not the other. That said, there are a number of similar arguments. In the case of the SRC, to support women without supporting men is unacceptable as both women and men at our university fund the SRC. This is the same argument as to why Con students are pissed off at the SRC - because Con students have a financial investment in the SRC.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Yes, I am. But I am first and foremost an independent, who has seen for many years the way groups like Keep Left work. We don't call them "Pepperspray Paddy" and "Krazy Karoline" for no reason. Keep Left have good intentions, and almost certainly are completely sincere about the fights they want to fight on the SRC. In fact, one of their key members is somebody I've considered one of my bestest friends.

But sincerity or no, it doesn't change the fact that they ARE misguided. It's not time for a Keep Left leadership, because they aren't ready. And it's no longer time for a Labor SRC leadership, because they've had eight years in the leadership to fix the problems on the SRC that they promise Every year to fix. Even though I hate much of what the Liberals stand for, a RESOLVE/Choice coalition controlling the SRC for just one year will be enough to motivate our left-wing representatives to work harder, to develop sensible policy and to get a taste of what student life is like for those students that Disagree with the SRC.

To "Make the Sensible Choice" is not just to support the team who's using the most clever slogan. Our campaign is built upon the premise that the Sensible Choice is the ticket that will deliver the most for students. It's a sad day when I am forced to run against the party I vote for (Labor), but the fact is that Action/Spark/Go are no longer the Sensible Choice. RESOLVE is. And I hope that students will see past the media blitz to make that Sensible Choice.

myg0t

myg0t
HSC
melbournian said:
Cause they actually have policies? Cause they actually want the world to be a better place?

Yes I completely agree. Lets all vote Labor. And if we need anyone to look up to on why we should vote labor, lets go to the very top...all praise M Latham :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
hahaha i was havin lunch yesterday on the engo lawn and some guy goes to this dude behind me, hey can u rip down all those posters, u can do it as long as you arn;t another campaigner. and the guy went and ripped down a bout 40 posters which completely covered the notice board of some gay src candidate

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
You can't do it even if you aren't campaigning. I can't remember what the penalties are, but I'd presume it'd be something along the lines of having your student subscriptions revoked without refund. And that "gay" SRC candidate was probably the one that wants to abolish the queer collective. How ironic.

Last edited:

Plebeian

wikiwiki said:
The fact is, Choice is one of the few parties that actually has policies directly relating to REPRESENTING STUDENTS.
All of the major parties, except Keep Left, have policy directly relating to students. Choice happens to have policies which are destructive - things aren't working, so get rid of them, instead of trying to fix them.

And myg0t, if you think the doings of Federal Labor have anything to do with student politics, you are as delusional as Keep Left. As wikiwiki did rightly post, this is about student issues. Just because certain parties align themselves with wider political spheres doesn't mean they are devoted to all of the policy or actions taken by those wider community parties. It's about applying the same priorities to our own specific sphere. Where student issues are being discussed in wider society or by the legislature (such as with VSU or the Liberals' failure to index higher education spending), then the positions are likely to be very similar, but otherwise wider comparisons are not valid at all.

gerhard

HSC
choice will represent students that believe in their ideals and no one else.
action will represent students that believe in their ideals and no one else.

more (voting) students believe in the ideals of action.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I think the political affiliation of the student factions is perhaps the single most destructive element of our student organisations. Active students don't join political factions because they like that faction's student issues stance. They join them because they like that faction's overall stance, which may or may not include student issues. The fact is that anybody whose first loyalty is to the faction, and second to the student body overall is quite frankly, Dangerous.

That's why tickets like RESOLVE are emerging. People like me are pissed off at our student organisations because the people running them are so obsessed with pleasing their political masters that they forget to deal with student issues.

Last edited:

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
withoutaface said:
You can't do it even if you aren't campaigning. I can't remember what the penalties are, but I'd presume it'd be something along the lines of having your student subscriptions revoked without refund. And that "gay" SRC candidate was probably the one that wants to abolish the queer collective. How ironic.

it was the one who looks like he's 16
i can;t remember his name, but if u said it i'd probly recognise it.
maybe the engineering once since his posters were plastered all over the board beside the cafe

and wat, u can;t rip their posters down, but u can staple yours over the top of theirs? how civilised

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Techie said:
All of the major parties, except Keep Left, have policy directly relating to students. Choice happens to have policies which are destructive - things aren't working, so get rid of them, instead of trying to fix them.

And myg0t, if you think the doings of Federal Labor have anything to do with student politics, you are as delusional as Keep Left. As wikiwiki did rightly post, this is about student issues. Just because certain parties align themselves with wider political spheres doesn't mean they are devoted to all of the policy or actions taken by those wider community parties. It's about applying the same priorities to our own specific sphere. Where student issues are being discussed in wider society or by the legislature (such as with VSU or the Liberals' failure to index higher education spending), then the positions are likely to be very similar, but otherwise wider comparisons are not valid at all.
Action's supposed non-destructive methods will mean that post-VSU the SRC will be provide the same negligable benefit for the majority of students for the same price, and it will rot and die. Keep in mind that the SRC will not survive upon the contributions of queer and ethnic students alone.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
gordo said:
it was the one who looks like he's 16
i can;t remember his name, but if u said it i'd probly recognise it.
maybe the engineering once since his posters were plastered all over the board beside the cafe

and wat, u can;t rip their posters down, but u can staple yours over the top of theirs? how civilised
Oh, was that Nick Wood? If so then good on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)