St George Girls vs Hurlston (1 Viewer)

pluto

HSC
N/A
I appreciate if someone help me to get the Pros and Cons between St George Girls and Hurlston.
For distance, Hurlston is much closer but StGeorge is higher ranking. However is it worth to travel more than 1hour everyday
to go to St George girls instead of Hurlston???? Please help

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Go Hurlstone is what everyone will tell you to do. I actually had to decide between Sydney Tech and Hurlstone last year, chose Tech mainly due to parents' and didn't want to do agriculture for HSC (not being able to drop it as well) even though 90% of the BoS community encouraged me to go Hurlstone. I feel alright due to the fact that Tech beat Hurlstone in the HSC in 2011 (Tech 23rd, Hurlstone 26th, St. George 16th)... In general, St. George is obviously the stronger school than Hurlstone in terms of academics... Another HSC 2011 fact was that Tech had 23 HSC all rounders while St George and Hurlstone both had 21 HSC all rounders.... So, it shows that Hurlstone just has a bigger cohort which results in a weaker DA %...
I'm assuming you live notably closer to Hurlstone, so you should just go Hurlstone... If you live far away from both schools, I'd say St. George...

PROS OF HURLSTONE
- Co-ed
- HEAPS OF ASIANS FOR YOU TO RELY ON (every asian kid there goes Ngo & Sons for Maths and PEAK for Sciences so NO WORRIES!)
- Convenient Travel - It's right next to Glenfield Station!

CONS OF HURLSTONE
- You have to do Agriculture for Years 11 and 12 (HSC) if you join in Year 10 or 11

PROS OF ST. GEORGE
- Higher Ranking
- You are not required to do any subjects you don't want to do (100% freedom of subject choice)

CONS OF ST. George
- Single sex

In summary, both schools are good and I think it all comes down to distance... Just go to the closer school....
But seriously, it all comes down to your personal decision.... We can give suggestions but it's you who will decide...

pluto

HSC
N/A
Thank you so much for your advice. Yes, I'm thinking about St George purely because of ranking always much higher than Hurlstone.
But it's double the travel time for me to get to StGeorge. I guess it's not that practical!!!
Go Hurlstone is what everyone will tell you to do. I actually had to decide between Sydney Tech and Hurlstone last year, chose Tech mainly due to parents' and didn't want to do agriculture for HSC (not being able to drop it as well) even though 90% of the BoS community encouraged me to go Hurlstone. I feel alright due to the fact that Tech beat Hurlstone in the HSC in 2011 (Tech 23rd, Hurlstone 26th, St. George 16th)... In general, St. George is obviously the stronger school than Hurlstone in terms of academics... Another HSC 2011 fact was that Tech had 23 HSC all rounders while St George and Hurlstone both had 21 HSC all rounders.... So, it shows that Hurlstone just has a bigger cohort which results in a weaker DA %...
I'm assuming you live notably closer to Hurlstone, so you should just go Hurlstone... If you live far away from both schools, I'd say St. George...

PROS OF HURLSTONE
- Co-ed
- HEAPS OF ASIANS FOR YOU TO RELY ON (every asian kid there goes Ngo & Sons for Maths and PEAK for Sciences so NO WORRIES!)
- Convenient Travel - It's right next to Glenfield Station!

CONS OF HURLSTONE
- You have to do Agriculture for Years 11 and 12 (HSC) if you join in Year 10 or 11

PROS OF ST. GEORGE
- Higher Ranking
- You are not required to do any subjects you don't want to do (100% freedom of subject choice)

CONS OF ST. George
- Single sex

In summary, both schools are good and I think it all comes down to distance... Just go to the closer school....
But seriously, it all comes down to your personal decision.... We can give suggestions but it's you who will decide...

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you so much for your advice. Yes, I'm thinking about St George purely because of ranking always much higher than Hurlstone.
But it's double the travel time for me to get to StGeorge. I guess it's not that practical!!!
I'd advise you to go Hurlstone then.
Maybe, get advice from your parents and friends as well.

BrokenGlass

HSC
trust me. Pointless travelling is pointless. And you'll regret not picking Hurlstone for that reason, possibly.
HOWEVER, with that said, from what I've heard from a number of people, St George's student LIFE and CULTURE (not talking about academics at all) is much better than Hurlstones?
So interesting tossup there, good luck! :smile:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)