St George Visa Debit Card (1 Viewer)

G

Gavvvvvin

Whats the difference between an embossed and un-embossed card?

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Gavvvvvin said:
Whats the difference between an embossed and un-embossed card?
wikipedia said:
Embossing is the process of creating a three-dimensional image or design in paper or plastic. It is typically accomplished with a combination of heat and pressure on the paper or plastic. For embossing metal, see repoussé.

Zozo6969

HSC
Embossed cards are ones that have raised printed, while un-embossed cards dont. Dunno why u put the subject title as st george visa debit card tho.

mr_brightside

HSC
Zozo6969 said:
Embossed cards are ones that have raised printed, while un-embossed cards dont. Dunno why u put the subject title as st george visa debit card tho.
1. Thanks for the echo.
2. Because he is getting a st george visa debit card and wanted to know what the options meant?

G

Gavvvvvin

Haha yeah I know what embossed means...but do both the cards function the same? Can you use the un-embossed one at like ATMs and stuff? :s

mr_brightside

HSC
Gavvvvvin said:
Haha yeah I know what embossed means...but do both the cards function the same? Can you use the un-embossed one at like ATMs and stuff? :s
The magnetic strip is what holds all the data in the card, and thats what the ATM reads when you put it in, not the embossed numbers.

The reason they emboss the card numbers is cause to do a manual credit card/eftpos transaction they used to get a slide pressing machine and roll it over your card, and the numbers would make a mark on the ink paper and record your details.

Nowdays pretty much all transactions are done electronically.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
whilst the un-embossed card certainly looks better (i would imagine) i would go for emobssed, as dan points out they are from the days of manual credit card imprinting, HOWEVER, sometimes stores need to do this when the line is down, this is espescially true of taxis. Yes, whilst they could still copy the info down, i would just go for embossed, most cards are anyway

hellomike

HSC
Does St. George give you this option or something? I have got one myself and it's like any other card which has the raised credit card number. The only thing I have noticed which is different is they have brought out a new color. My one is red.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
what? they have always been red.
the new ones look like this

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
ps gavvin dude where did u find this embossing option i went on their website and all i could find was this confusing-as-fuck application form which seemed to be a generic form for any account :/

G

Gavvvvvin

umm go to the page that compares accounts...one of them has the embossed card, and the other has an un-embossed card.

hellomike

HSC
breaking said:
what? they have always been red.
the new ones look like this

Yeah that's what I meant, the new one is the one you showed. I have the red one.

googol

HSC
I got a VISA debit card to, but mine's a ANZ one and does not have that "flying bird" hologram on the front. It is embossed and I love it! It always work for my without any problems although I do pay a fee of $3 per month as I am a student - well I'm not anymore haha (the student check lasts 12 months).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)