St Johns suspends 30 students (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
College throws out 30 students (SMH)

ONE of Australia's most prestigious university colleges has suspended 30 male students after a wild Orientation Week drinking game left a young woman in hospital.
The University of Sydney's St John's College has suspended every student from the fourth floor of its Polding Wing after a first-year ''fresher'' was rushed to Royal Price Alfred Hospital last Sunday having suffered an adverse reaction to an alcoholic cocktail. The teenager collapsed after second and third-year students allegedly accosted her in a hall and told her she could not leave until she consumed the initiation drink. She allegedly protested, citing an allergy to alcohol. It is claimed the group persisted until she conceded, although at least one suspended student insists there was no coercion.
Minutes later, the young woman was found convulsing on a corridor floor by a fellow student who was acting as an O-Week first-aid volunteer. The young woman has since been discharged from hospital.
The unprecedented decision to suspend 30 students for ''inappropriate conduct'' was taken by the St John's College rector, Michael Bongers. Since his arrival at the college in 2009, Mr Bongers has adopted a zero-tolerance policy on excessive drinking and other anti-social behaviour which, over generations, has become ingrained in university culture.
In a written response to The Sun-Herald yesterday, Mr Bongers confirmed the University of Sydney had been fully briefed about the ''unfortunate and atypical event''.
''A three-day investigation into an incident last Sunday evening (here in the College) preceded my decision on Thursday to suspend a large group of students. Students are suspended indefinitely from the College from last Friday and decisions regarding their continuing status (individual and otherwise) will be made at the conclusion of the investigation. All students involved have been counselled and appropriate care has been given where necessary.''
Mr Bongers added the young woman would continue her studies tomorrow. But the college would make no further comment about her specifically after being informed by her parents that her condition was ''a private matter''.
A college source said in the days following the alert, Mr Bongers called a meeting of all students living on the fourth floor of the campus's Polding wing, where the drinking game occurred. Before that summit, one of the students had provided an alternate version of events, claiming the girl had been a ''willing participant'' in the annual drinking ritual. According to the source, the student stated: ''We didn't force her to drink anything … he can't possibly kick us all out.''
However, in the resulting showdown with Mr Bongers, students are understood to have refused to say who was present, prompting the mass suspension. [...]

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Wow. This can't be good for St John's....

halapenyo

HSC
would not have happened at UNSW. tsk tsk tsk

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Just read it at the SMH site. Good on the kids for sticking together as one though.

What I didn't understand was that when the college says they are all 'suspended', does that mean they have to move out and find alternative accommodation (temporarily until a final decision is made) or what?

izzy88

HSC
would not have happened at UNSW. tsk tsk tsk
It happens everywhere. It shouldn't, but it does. Hopefully this serves as a warning to the rest of the colleges/uni drinking life in general.

Just read it at the SMH site. Good on the kids for sticking together as one though.
Not sure I agree with that. If they were all involved, sure. But it sounds from the article (not saying the article is correct, I know things can be mis-reported) that the reason they stuck together was to avoid punishment - the idea being the college wouldn't suspend everyone. That clearly didn't work out, and to me it shows that they don't really understand the seriousness of what occurred.

College o-week always has a lot of alcohol, however no one should feel pressured to drink.

What I didn't understand was that when the college says they are all 'suspended', does that mean they have to move out and find alternative accommodation (temporarily until a final decision is made) or what?
Yes, generally suspended means they have to find alternate accommodation temporarily until the investigation has been completed/the college has formally decided what to do.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I met Michael Bongers two days before the incident at an event regarding the Peace Stone in front of St John's. He seemed like a good bloke when I was having a chat with him, so I trust his subsequent course of action in this matter if I judged his character correctly.

Disappointing way to start the new academic year.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
"suspended every student from the fourth floor"

oh my

mirakon

nigga
HSC
According to smh, usyd colleges have quite the reputation...

HSC
Uni Grad
No one will find out what really happened that night anyway.
Her word against theirs etc.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.smh.com.au/national/tert...r-over-college-traditions-20120504-1y48e.html

Students involved in an initiation rite that went wrong at an elite University of Sydney college will not be expelled, writes David Marr.

IT HAS taken many weeks, but the rector of St John's College has made up his mind. Michael Bongers will not expel any of the dozens of students suspended from the college early this year after an initiation ceremony left a girl dangerously ill in hospital.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)