St marys senior high ranking??? (1 Viewer)

Ly123

HSC
Im applying for st marys either way but it would be nice if I could get like a general idea of what the ranking of the school might be since i can't find it anywhere and apparently they don't publish it ig. I can't tell if it's higher than my current school which is like in the 140s over past few years. I've tried looking at the band 6 thing on the NSW website and the percentage of students who are DA at smshs is less than my school but I don't really want to stay here that much even tho its partial selective. My cousin said she knew a few people from smshs who were quite smart and she thinks its probably better than mine and that's from a girra student perspective. Idk if i'm like just biased.

Armon

HSC
Irrespective of the rankings, I can tell you its a good school. I had a friend there in my year who was possibly the most sped kid youll ever meet, (literally missed a full page from 2 of his hsc exams, plagiarised his entire english, got caught for plagirism in a maths assignment and got 0) and he still managed to get a 96.70 so that school can work miracles bro

oml

HSC
Im applying for st marys either way but it would be nice if I could get like a general idea of what the ranking of the school might be since i can't find it anywhere and apparently they don't publish it ig. I can't tell if it's higher than my current school which is like in the 140s over past few years. I've tried looking at the band 6 thing on the NSW website and the percentage of students who are DA at smshs is less than my school but I don't really want to stay here that much even tho its partial selective. My cousin said she knew a few people from smshs who were quite smart and she thinks its probably better than mine and that's from a girra student perspective. Idk if i'm like just biased.
Don't stress out about the rank it's around the 240-250s but it makes sense because the school isn't academically focused. Don't get me wrong there's many academically gifted students but the school focuses on its inclusive environment. There's several clubs and literally every person is unique so you get to meet so many different types of people. With my cohort people are really nice and mature, I feel like it leans more towards the academic side than the previous cohorts the school has had. They give us a lot of freedom in comparison to other schools, which in my experience has been good but if you get in make sure to actually use your free periods wisely and don't get on the wrong side of the teachers (inform them you're going to the bathroom or need to go somewhere don't go without permission or else they'll lowk hate you 😭) They're not really strict on the uniform policy but it depends on your teachers. The school isn't independent in regards to teaching, the teacher will teach the class for the 72 minute periods, but the assessment policy. They're VERY strict on the assessment policy, if you fail to submit your task, cheat, use AI, you will be getting a zero no matter what. Most teachers don't do drafts either because it's not fair? Maybe it's just for year 11, but most teachers won't even read over your work and give feedback because of equity and fairness. They will also not remind you of your assessment task and you won't get class time. Also it can feel really lonely when you come at first, but everyone is in the same boat (most people come with friends, but trust me that literally doesn't matter) I do the exact same subjects as my friend and we're not even in one class. As long as you can communicate and try to get along with others you'll be great. The ranking isn't really important, they will tell you in the first 2 weeks that everything is in your hands and if you can't handle it to leave because not everyone can handle an independent learning environment. Trust me though, it'll be worth it.

katiekms

HSC
Don't stress out about the rank it's around the 240-250s but it makes sense because the school isn't academically focused. Don't get me wrong there's many academically gifted students but the school focuses on its inclusive environment. There's several clubs and literally every person is unique so you get to meet so many different types of people. With my cohort people are really nice and mature, I feel like it leans more towards the academic side than the previous cohorts the school has had. They give us a lot of freedom in comparison to other schools, which in my experience has been good but if you get in make sure to actually use your free periods wisely and don't get on the wrong side of the teachers (inform them you're going to the bathroom or need to go somewhere don't go without permission or else they'll lowk hate you 😭) They're not really strict on the uniform policy but it depends on your teachers. The school isn't independent in regards to teaching, the teacher will teach the class for the 72 minute periods, but the assessment policy. They're VERY strict on the assessment policy, if you fail to submit your task, cheat, use AI, you will be getting a zero no matter what. Most teachers don't do drafts either because it's not fair? Maybe it's just for year 11, but most teachers won't even read over your work and give feedback because of equity and fairness. They will also not remind you of your assessment task and you won't get class time. Also it can feel really lonely when you come at first, but everyone is in the same boat (most people come with friends, but trust me that literally doesn't matter) I do the exact same subjects as my friend and we're not even in one class. As long as you can communicate and try to get along with others you'll be great. The ranking isn't really important, they will tell you in the first 2 weeks that everything is in your hands and if you can't handle it to leave because not everyone can handle an independent learning environment. Trust me though, it'll be worth it.
what? no drafts?? all my teachers beg for drafts and get angry if you don’t give them any… i think it is fair because its the students choice whether or not they hand in a draft. and i couldn’t do 72 minute periods, ours are 60 lol

oml

HSC
what? no drafts?? all my teachers beg for drafts and get angry if you don’t give them any… i think it is fair because its the students choice whether or not they hand in a draft. and i couldn’t do 72 minute periods, ours are 60 lol
yeah it sucks, I could do sm better if teachers just read over and edited my work, bc I don't know what they expect lmao 😭 we have over 450 students in our cohort tho makes sense, for e.g there's 2 business teachers and they can't read over 160 drafts in the span of 2 weeks and they also have to prioritise the yr12s over us but I don't think they get drafts either. But like I'm surviving and thriving so it's allg 🤩 the 72 min periods are hell tho

Ly123

HSC
no but like doesnt ranking affect your hsc mark and atar. like higher ranked schools mean better students which mean better marks in the hsc tests overall which mean even if ur hsc test is bad then ur still like more likely to get better than if you were in a worse school. idk my cousin explained it to me a while ago but thats like kinda the gist of it.

Ly123

HSC
yeah it sucks, I could do sm better if teachers just read over and edited my work, bc I don't know what they expect lmao 😭 we have over 450 students in our cohort tho makes sense, for e.g there's 2 business teachers and they can't read over 160 drafts in the span of 2 weeks and they also have to prioritise the yr12s over us but I don't think they get drafts either. But like I'm surviving and thriving so it's allg 🤩 the 72 min periods are hell tho
yeah my old school had 80 minute periods but they only have 4 periods so 5 72min ones took me by surprise.

oml

HSC
no but like doesnt ranking affect your hsc mark and atar. like higher ranked schools mean better students which mean better marks in the hsc tests overall which mean even if ur hsc test is bad then ur still like more likely to get better than if you were in a worse school. idk my cousin explained it to me a while ago but thats like kinda the gist of it.
our school isn't affected by it cause we sit in the middle-top, most our teachers are hsc markers anyways and they say our school isn't effected negatively. Your assessment mark will stay the same, it won't go down or up it'll only be moderated up/down depending on how you do in your hsc exam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)