St Marys Senior High School - Help (1 Viewer)

cbebree

HSC
N/A
Hi im currently in year 10 and was thinking of applying to St Marys Senior High School/ SMSHS.

I dont know too much about the school, i know its in the top 200s and that its abit like uni (the independence and the way you are treated).

If anybody knows anything about the school, could you please let me know. And if you attend the school or attended it before, how was your experience?

Thank you very much in advance! :)

mac1996

HSC
What i find pretty cool at that school is the fact that you can call teachers by their first name, lol.

epz

HSC
Hi im currently in year 10 and was thinking of applying to St Marys Senior High School/ SMSHS.

I dont know too much about the school, i know its in the top 200s and that its abit like uni (the independence and the way you are treated).

If anybody knows anything about the school, could you please let me know. And if you attend the school or attended it before, how was your experience?

Thank you very much in advance! :)
I know a friend that goes there and I think she's going quite well. What ranking is your current school and is your cohort strong? One of the biggest things I regretted in Year 10-11 was not moving away to a better school than I am at currently. I'm pretty sure St Mary's Senior has a decent cohort, and that it would probably help you a lot. Plus, you practically wear mufty!

myinnermonkey

Time Lord Companion
HSC
I don't go to St. Mary's so I don't have any actual firsthand experience, although I'm pretty sure it was ranked in the 160's in the 2012 hsc, so it's quite decent. I'm only going off what I've been told from some of my friends and my sister; her friend moved there this year. My school is okay; it ranks in the 120's, and my sister's friend was only above average at my school, but when she moved to St. Mary's, she topped her subjects. Therefore, if you want to go there for the education, it all depends on your current school's ranking. If you're in a higher ranked school, I'd suggest that you stay where you are, but if coming from a lower ranked school, then it's beneficial for you. On the other hand, I've been told that they don't have a uniform, so that should be a bonus! :)

cbebree

HSC
N/A
well my school is still new and they only had their first graduating year 12s last year, and my cohort is really bad, everyone fails all the tests and the average is a C for pretty much all the subjects.
i'm just hoping st marys is better than my current school haha

cbebree

HSC
N/A
how does your sisters friend find the teaching? does she regret the move?
i read mixed things about the school. :(

myinnermonkey

Time Lord Companion
HSC
how does your sisters friend find the teaching? does she regret the move?
i read mixed things about the school. :(
I tried asking my sister about this, but all she said was that her friend liked it there because she was first in a lot of her subjects, hehe. Sorry, this probably didn't help much in making your decision. It really depends on what school you're coming from though. People have mixed opinions because they're from different schools- for instance, if you were coming from a school that isn't as good as St. Mary's, then a lot of the people within your school would look up to it, whereas if you came from a higher ranked school that consistently does better than St. Mary's, you'd obviously prefer the higher ranked one in terms of academics. :)

On the other hand, regarding your post about your school (about how they only had their first graduating year 12's last year), I have this strange gnawing in my brain that you come from St. Marks Catholic College? Hehe, my friend moved there about two years ago. But honestly, I don't think St. Mark's did too bad in their hsc comparative to other schools, considering it was their first graduating class, but that's just my opinion. When you say everyone 'fails,' do you mean that they get less than half? Because it's normal for other people to not do very well- not everyone can be in the A-B range.

But anyway, St. Mary's may be better than your current school, I can't really tell you anything as I don't have any firsthand experience. But it's at least in the top 200 schools, so it should be pretty decent- if you do come from St. Marks, then St. Mary's would probably be a better option in terms of academics.

puddingopp

Unpossible
HSC
St Marys is definitely a good choice. You won't regret it :) You will make heaps of friends and have the best 2 years of your schooling experience.
If you come from a school around lower than the 150s, then you should consider applying, there are a lot of top people there.
you will find heaps of catholic school kids there. the teachers are really nice and you are literally like friends with them, you're allowed to call them by their first name.
also they have a wide of range of subjects available. you can pretty much do any subjects you can think of in most combinations. there are subjects that I haven't even heard of before such as Exploring Early Childhood...
considering trying! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)