Stage 1 subjects compulsory? (1 Viewer)

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
This may be a stupid question, but are stage 1 subjects compulsory, even if one is not a necessary prerequisite for stage 2 + 3 subjects? I'm planning to major in Climate Systems Science which has the following plan structure for Stage 1:

GEOS1701 Environ Systems. & Processes (6 UOC)
CHEM1011 Chemistry A (6 UOC) or CHEM1031 Higher Chemistry A (6 UOC)
PHYS1121 Physics 1A (6 UOC) or PHYS1131 Higher Physics 1A (6 UOC)
MATH1131 Mathematics 1A (6 UOC) or MATH1141 Higher Mathematics 1A (6 UOC)
MATH1231 Mathematics 1B (6 UOC) or MATH1241 Higher Mathematics 1B (6 UOC)

Recommended electives (these courses are not required but are recommended as good complementary courses for this major):
BIOS1101 Evolutionary & Functional Biol (6 UOC)
COMP1917 Computing 1 (6 UOC)
GEOS1211 Environmental Earth Science (6 UOC)
PHYS1221 Physics 1B (6 UOC) or PHYS1231 Higher Physics 1B (6 UOC)

Does this mean I have to do all of the above subjects (except the electives)? Also how do you I fit in electives if I only do 18UOC in semester 1 and 12 UOC in semester 2? Basically I don't want to do physics and I've checked that the other subjects are prerequisites for the later stage subjects.

Last edited:

Iruka

HSC
N/A
I would have thought that physics is fairly fundamental to understanding climate science. If you don't want to study it, I suggest that you reconsider your major.

Compulsory subjects in a major are there for a reason. Particularly at first year level.

D94

HSC
N/A
Your degree requires you to do 192 UOC (144 UOC for an approved major where 48 UOC are for Honours year, 36 UOC free electives, 12 UOC general education). Climate Systems Science is 84 UOC (14 core courses * 6 UOC each) which means you need to do an extra 12 UOC. These extra 12 UOC need to be from the Faculty of Science, so they recommend you to do any 2 of those electives to fill up the required UOC.

The first 5 you listed above are core/compulsory. The electives are not compulsory, but they recommend those because they may help your understanding for the major.

You don't only for 18 UOC and 12 UOC in the two semesters - you should be doing 24 UOC each semester. This means you'll have to do some free electives or general education electives to complete the typical UOC for each semester.

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
Thanks for clearing everything up :) Sorry I didn't mention that I'm doing combined law so I only have to do 144 UOC and therefore do not have to do free elective and general courses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)