Standard English + UAI (1 Viewer)

A l

HSC
N/A
routemarker said:
NO IT DOESNT. They dont scale the same. Infact anymark below 90 in advanced is scaled down compared to the same mark in standard. Chances are if you can get 83 in advanced you can probably do better in standard. Unless you're blitzing Adv Eng, do standard because it really boosts your UAI.
They do scale the same. Please note that an ALIGNED HSC mark (i.e. marks you receive from the Board of Studies) is NOT used for scaling in calculation of the UAI. The marks you enter in SAM are not the marks used for scaling. Calculating an ALIGNED MARK and calculating a SCALED MARK from the same RAW MARK involves two very different processes.
It is emphasised in the Preliminary Scaling Report. Read the following to gain an understanding of the process:
http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/preliminreport-2005.pdf
http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/uaibook_2005.pdf

RAW MARKS are used for scaling, not aligned marks. In the case of English (Standard) and English (Advanced), the same raw mark is equally difficult to obtain in both courses due to distribution of marks in the Area of Study, where differences in difficulty are eliminated.
However, the two courses are ALIGNED differently, meaning that the same raw mark equates to a different aligned mark between Advanced and Standard.
In other words a RAW mark of 80 is equally as difficult to obtain between Standard and Advanced. However this raw mark of 80 ALIGNS to a higher mark in Advanced than in Standard. The difference between aligned marks and the corresponding raw marks are larger at the bottom end, but almost similar at the top end. For example, a mark of 82 in Standard equals a mark of 84 in Advanced. The raw marks behind them are equal so thus they are scaled equally, but the HSC aligned marks differ due to the different standard setting procedures.
This means that a higher mark is slightly harder to attain in English (Standard) than in English (Advanced).

On a side note, the highest UAI obtained by a student doing English (Standard) this year was 99.70.

7th Sign

HSC
standard people probly got shit marks because some of the papers are marked in comparison to advanced people.

AOS would have killed heaps of standard people in the marks area.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
Standard Eng mark: 79
UAI: 70.4.

English was actually my highest mark :(. equalled with business studies

HSC
N/A
quote to shell= that blloody crazy if eng stand was ur highest n u got that uai. My friends got mad hsc marks but sh-- uai. impressive

100percent

HSC
std eng hsc mark 68
uai 89.70
go me :)
if only i didn't sux at english :(

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
prinze__martin said:
quote to shell= that blloody crazy if eng stand was ur highest n u got that uai. My friends got mad hsc marks but sh-- uai. impressive
really? are you crazy? i think 70.4 is so shit!!!!! : thankyou! you made me feel tonnes better.
yeah i got two 79's, a 74, 73 and a 61. LOL

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Shell said:
really? are you crazy? i think 70.4 is so shit!!!!! : thankyou! you made me feel tonnes better.
yeah i got two 79's, a 74, 73 and a 61. LOL
just one off a band 5 for standard that's excellent ..

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
my teacher actually thought id get a band. in fact, most people did. I wasnt really that good at it. i was VERY complacent. and hardly ever tried. i had never been in anything but the top english class all through junior years. i was just lazy, and the people in my year doing standard are such dumbasses, the whole course was a joke to me.

alisoniii

english std = 84
UAI = 98.95 (cos i did well in my other subjects)

but english pulled me down... =(

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Shell said:
my teacher actually thought id get a band. in fact, most people did. I wasnt really that good at it. i was VERY complacent. and hardly ever tried. i had never been in anything but the top english class all through junior years. i was just lazy, and the people in my year doing standard are such dumbasses, the whole course was a joke to me.
maybe you should have done advance then.

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
hopeles5ly said:
maybe you should have done advance then.
If he had done advanced, he would have needed to get 86+ to get the same UAI. Any lower and the uai would have decreased. Advanced is overrated.

myer

HSC
N/A
standard english mark- 73
uai- 70.8

english was my lowest mark but the school stuffed us around alot so we were disadvantaged from the start, pretty sad 73 was the highest standard eng mark from my school

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)