Standard English (1 Viewer)

snowyriver

HSC
N/A
Is a 95+ ATAR with standard english as well as general maths, physics, bio and modern history possible? school is ranked around 28. What ranks and marks should i be aiming for scraping a 90 and a 95.

cohort size
std english: 45
general maths: 50
physics: 70
bio: 120
modern history: 35

Ricktatorship

HSC
I also do standard, and I reckon it is perfectly reasonable to get a 95 atar with it. My school is also around the 25-35 rank mark, and we consistently have the top 2/3 students in the standard cohort getting a band 6 in standard (top ~50 in state). If you do scrape a B6, it actually scales very well. Look it up, something like a 90 goes up to 95/96 apparently, because you are in such a high percentile.
If your school's past HSC results have been kinda consistent, have a look at the HSC report your school will probably publish. It will have things like x% of students got a B6 etc etcfor each sub. Try and fit yourself into that and get a pictuire of where you are at and where you are heading.
Hope this helped and GL.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
The scaling differences between standard and advanced are negligible once you get into marks above around a band 5 but unfortunately the aligning of standard is no good. For students who want to get good marks you really do want to be doing advanced but if you are stuck in standard then don't worry too much because your subject combination will definitely be fine for a 95+ atar as long as you perform well in them.

For 95+ you'll want to scrape a band 6 in every subject, as ricktatorship said you can look at how your school has performed in the past to try and figure out what ranks you should be aiming for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)