standard english (1 Viewer)

humptydumpty5

HSC
N/A
hi there I wanted to ask is it bad that I'm doing English standard going into year 12 I'm so nervous. I heard it doesn't scale well. Does any one have proper tips that can help me achieve a 90+ in English for all modules. A lot of the advanced students were saying how it doesn't scale well and there is no point in the English standard course kind of put me down for it. I really want to do well but just am really lost.

quickoats

HSC
It scales the same as advanced (this is discussed on many other threads). However, it is aligned differently, making it much more difficult to get a band 6 (less than 1% of the cohort). Scaling the same I.e. earning an 85 in standard and an 85 in advanced will yield the same ATAR, all other makes being equal.

Advice is to push as much as you can but don’t get your hopes up for a band 6. I landed an 89 but it definitely wasn’t breezy. If you are a competent writer but maybe struggle with the complexity of the advanced texts then you might see improvements by doing standard - I sure did.

It is literally designed so that someone is very likely to get the same mark if they did standard and advanced - not really scaling it down but rather making the playing field equal since both units are compulsory.

Also, you go to Hurlstone? I thought they discontinued standard English in 2020? When I was there, there was quite a nurturing culture in standard English so the teachers are definitely there to help you succeed and thrive! Unlike advanced where sometimes it can feel like they want everyone to drop to standard so they can have an elite class.

Gryffindor

HSC
A lot of the advanced students were saying how it doesn't scale well and there is no point in the English standard course kind of put me down for it. I really want to do well but just am really lost.
As difficult as it may seem, just ignore them. I think it's terrible that a select few in advanced classes tend to look down on those doing standard. The people who do shame others for their chosen course level tend to be the ones not performing amazingly, that's definitely the case at my school anyway lmao.

Each year there are plenty of people who fulfil their potential in standard!! It takes a lot of hard work, but it would if you were in advanced as well. I recommend reading a myriad of different text types to extend your vocabulary throughout the year (I did so in year 10 and still do, and saw a significant improvement in my grades) and maybe before this term starts, compiling a list of both commonly used and unique techniques that you can discuss in future essays (doesn't have to be too long or arduous haha).

What text are you doing for the common module? I'm in advanced, but also read the standard text as I am still deciding which course I'd like to pursue in year 12 and could share the quotes I thought were relevant to the concept of human experience and my (very brief) analysis if you're doing the same text!

humptydumpty5

HSC
N/A
I messaged my teacher in regarding to which text we are doing but she hasn't replied yet lol

I will let you know asap what the text is when he responds back

Last edited:

sab13562

HSC
hi there I wanted to ask is it bad that I'm doing English standard going into year 12 I'm so nervous. I heard it doesn't scale well. Does any one have proper tips that can help me achieve a 90+ in English for all modules. A lot of the advanced students were saying how it doesn't scale well and there is no point in the English standard course kind of put me down for it. I really want to do well but just am really lost.
If you want 90 plus, make sure you know your texts inside out, research other people's analysis on the texts, and constantly practice and ask your teacher for feedback. The more you practice, the better you'll get!

humptydumpty5

HSC
N/A
If you want 90 plus, make sure you know your texts inside out, research other people's analysis on the texts, and constantly practice and ask your teacher for feedback. The more you practice, the better you'll get!
thank you I definitely will thanks again

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
I'm pretty sure a Band 6 is edging close to a state rank. Its very rare. I got a high range Band 5 which is a good result.

Do a lot of practice essays and have your teacher mark them and guide you. I aimed for 2-3 per week.

humptydumpty5

HSC
N/A
As difficult as it may seem, just ignore them. I think it's terrible that a select few in advanced classes tend to look down on those doing standard. The people who do shame others for their chosen course level tend to be the ones not performing amazingly, that's definitely the case at my school anyway lmao.

Each year there are plenty of people who fulfil their potential in standard!! It takes a lot of hard work, but it would if you were in advanced as well. I recommend reading a myriad of different text types to extend your vocabulary throughout the year (I did so in year 10 and still do, and saw a significant improvement in my grades) and maybe before this term starts, compiling a list of both commonly used and unique techniques that you can discuss in future essays (doesn't have to be too long or arduous haha).

What text are you doing for the common module? I'm in advanced, but also read the standard text as I am still deciding which course I'd like to pursue in year 12 and could share the quotes I thought were relevant to the concept of human experience and my (very brief) analysis if you're doing the same text!

heyy I just to let you know that the books that we are covering through out the year are the crucible and the penguin henry lawson short stories. My teacher didn't mention which one we are covering but listed the novels instead, so I am not sure which one is being covered for the common module or if both are. Let me know if you need any help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)