Standard or Advanced English (1 Viewer)

pulsado

HSC
Which is better for a UAI? A 70 in standard english or a 70 in Advanced English. Or are they both the same beacause i have heard that.

sasquatch

HSC
Ive read around these forums that both standard english and advanced english are scaled the same. So yeah they could be equivalent but im not 100% sure.

chinkiwinki

HSC
No way are they close to equivalent.

Heres an examples.
only the top 10% of Standard is able to beat the bottom 20% of Advance.

dddman

Banned
HSC
always go for advance english, if u think its fucking too hard then drop down to standard

~Sw33ti3~

hate uni.... but why :S
HSC
do std english if you dun wanna put too much work into it and not cry over ur marks all the time.

i chose std english coz i didn' tlike shakespear..
and for once i actually enjoy english now, and is doing very well for my standards (top 10)... something which i would never had dreamed since i was so bottom for enlighs adv...

std english isn't about having bad english... you can do well in std english. it isn't tat ur dumb, it is dat you will shine in std engish if u can do adv...

i dunno, if like do adv. but i will say std english. it is way easier, better marks, better ranks, and yeah =D

A l

HSC
N/A
They are essentially very similar.
According to table A3 for the 2005 HSC, the top 10% of students in English (Standard) received a scaled mark greater than or equal to approximately 40% of students in English (Advanced). The top 1% of students in English (Standard) received a scaled mark greater than or equal to 75% of students in English (Advanced). The top mark in English (Standard) corresponded to a scaled mark that was higher than at least 99% of students in English (Advanced).
Also, from that table an aligned mark of 82 in English (Standard) corresponded to the SAME scaled mark as an aligned mark of 84 in English (Advanced) for 2005.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
A l said:
They are essentially very similar.
According to table A3 for the 2005 HSC, the top 10% of students in English (Standard) received a scaled mark greater than or equal to approximately 40% of students in English (Advanced). The top 1% of students in English (Standard) received a scaled mark greater than or equal to 75% of students in English (Advanced). The top mark in English (Standard) corresponded to a scaled mark that was higher than at least 99% of students in English (Advanced).
Also, from that table an aligned mark of 82 in English (Standard) corresponded to the SAME scaled mark as an aligned mark of 84 in English (Advanced) for 2005.
OK...explain the difference between "scaled mark" and "aligned mark". I'm getting increasingly confused with them :p

A l

HSC
N/A
Raw mark - This is the mark that you initially have before it is altered. This can vary year to year for the same course according to the difficulty of the examinations and performance of the candidature.

Aligned mark - This is the mark that is altered from the raw mark according to judged standards in achieving certain bands. This is done to remove differences in difficulty of examinations between years. In other words, an aligned mark of 90 in one year is almost equivalent to an aligned mark of 90 in another year. This is works in a similar way to the calculation of STAT or UMAT scores (if you've noticed) where marks are altered so that they are comparable between years. Aligned marks are also the marks that you ultimately receive from the Board of Studies.

Scaled mark - This also comes from the raw mark being altered as a result of scaling. Raw marks are scaled according to the strength and overall rank of the candidature in order to calculate the UAI.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
~Sw33ti3~ said:
do std english if you dun wanna put too much work into it and not cry over ur marks all the time.

and for once i actually enjoy english now, and is doing very well for my standards (top 10)... something which i would never had dreamed since i was so bottom for enlighs adv...

std english isn't about having bad english... you can do well in std english. it isn't tat ur dumb, it is dat you will shine in std engish if u can do adv...

i dunno, if like do adv. but i will say std english. it is way easier, better marks, better ranks, and yeah =D
I am completely with ya,

English Standard is easier and the workload is less than Advanced.
You must study 5 texts including Shakespeare in Advanced, whereas English it can be any 4 texts.

I would rather get a Band 5 English Standard than Band 3 in English Advanced...

meteorangela

HSC
~Sw33ti3~ said:

I'm with you!

Although the teachers didnt tell me to do standard at the end of year 11, i chose to anyway.. i was in the middle for advanced and now im twoards the top for standard!

I actually like english now. its great. though the whole HSC thing just sucks.

fallen__angel

Nocturnal Member
HSC
Uni Grad
*sniff* I'm in the bottom ten 4 Eng Adv...
why can't I type out my essays in exams damnit...my hand was freakin frozen in today's trial exams, and I only wrote 2 pages 4 transformations...
#$%^&*^%$ I don't wanna fail....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)