• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Standard or Advanced English? (1 Viewer)

amourpenelope

HSC
N/A
My school recommends me to do Standard English.
Should I drop to Standard? I'm just above average in Advance.
Help plz.

such_such

HSC
No. I don't think it's going to benefit you that much to be honest. Stick with Advanced unless you hate it of course. But there is always time to improve!

D94

HSC
N/A
Average in Advanced English is not as bad as it may sound. It's a challenging course for those who are not English oriented. If you go to Standard, you will need to be pretty much coming top 5, and still do amazingly well in the HSC in order to equal maybe a slightly above average Advanced student (depending on the cohort). If you compare going badly in Standard compared to going equally bad in Advanced, Advanced will give you a higher mark, evidently. But Standard is slightly easier than Advanced; all skills learned in Standard are the same as Advanced; you still need to analyse a text, give a perspective, answer a question etc.. The texts are just slightly easier and the modules are different.

Your teachers are just worried that you will pull down the whole grade, but really, it's the same statewide. There are going to be cohorts with great and not so great and average students. And to be honest, you only need to do well in Yr 12. Use Yr 11 to build up your skills and knowledge, and you can still go decently well in the HSC.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So what you're saying is basically: "I'm doing moderately well in Maths Extension 2, so I'm going to drop to General because my school recommended it to me".

Heh, if you follow your school's recommendation - good luck. You'll need it.

gleeek

HSC
I would recommend you to just stick with Advanced if you're going to still get above average. Standard isn't good for your ATAR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)