'Standardisation' (1 Viewer)

04er

HSC
Are teachers allowed to readjust marks for individual assessments (in maths) based on the difficulty of each assessment task? (a process that has been termed as 'standardisation' at my school) I am asking because this process has lowered my final assessment rank, and it seems to me that its illegal.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
As long as your mark isn't changed to something lower than someone you beat, it wouldn't make too much difference.

The marks you receive at school at moderated by the board of studies to ensure fairness is achieved throughout the state.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
yeh, what the school will do will affect the whole class, not just an individual, so in the end wont make a difference to your relative rankings, which is the only thing that comes out of all that schooling. :D

dingding

Señor Member
HSC
Why do schools do it if it doesn't make a difference?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
An extremely good question. :)

It's just because of the way the general community (including your parents) perceives marks - for example, a raw mark of 49 in an extremely difficult paper might be quite good, but the vast majority of people will still (wrongly) perceive it to be a "fail".

Likewise, your teacher might feel that a mark of 90 (or whatever) seems to indicate that you're doing better than you actually are, so they lower the marks of the class slightly. It doesn't make any difference... just to do with perception.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
But Laz, 04 ers is saying this standardisation is lowrring his RANKS, which shouldn't be happening if you are just manipulating everybody's marks.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Mmm... we ended up discussing it via PM.

Ranks shouldn't change.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)