Starcraft (1 Viewer)

niloony

HSC
Thought i'd bump this to say that in a conference call to investors blizz confirmed that the beta will be out this month and SC2 mid this year :jaw:.
I've got my key ready to go :D ....still.

HSC
N/A
lol believe it or not, my mum plays starcraft :p

hehe shes into sci-fi strategic games.

have not attempted to play it myself... looks complicated :/

HSC
Uni Grad
You have a really cool mum.

Also, it isnt particularly complicated at all, though SC2 will be cos it's a million times more tactics/strategy based.

TERMINATOR-HX

Coming back from the future....to kill you!
HSC
Also, it isnt particularly complicated at all, though SC2 will be cos it's a million times more tactics/strategy based.
The best way to describe SC would be "easy to learn, hard to master". Besides, tactics and strategy are what RTS games are supposed to be about. If you can win 4 out of 5 games by just spamming one or two units, there's hardly any strategy involved and people would get bored with the game really quick.
Having to use most, if not all, of the resources you're given to win makes the game more engaging, in my opinion, even if it isn't exactly noob-friendly. But you have a point, I guess. It is possible to make a game TOO complicated, and what point is there in having a game that's nearly impossible to play?

HSC
Uni Grad
The best way to describe SC would be "easy to learn, hard to master". Besides, tactics and strategy are what RTS games are supposed to be about. If you can win 4 out of 5 games by just spamming one or two units, there's hardly any strategy involved and people would get bored with the game really quick. Having to use most, if not all, of the resources you're given to win makes the game more engaging, in my opinion, even if it isn't exactly noob-friendly.
Yep

But you have a point, I guess. It is possible to make a game TOO complicated, and what point is there in having a game that's nearly impossible to play?
Yeh, I wasn't suggesting SC2 would be too complicated, just saying it is vastly more so than SC original.

TERMINATOR-HX

HSC
Yeh, I wasn't suggesting SC2 would be too complicated, just saying it is vastly more so than SC original.
It looks that way, but you can't know that for sure until you can actually play the game. If you have a key, then you're in luck because the beta is supposed to be available soon. If you don't, then you're gonna have to wait for the game to come out like most of us.

Basically, there has to be a balance between simplicity (to keep the game player-friendly) and complexity (to keep the game interesting and engaging).

TERMINATOR-HX

HSC
I have to say, though, and this is just from the few battle reports and things I've seen, SCII doesn't look THAT much more complicated than SC original.

Besides, I think SCI is deep and engaging enough (How else could it stay so popular for so long?), so Blizzard doesn't have to do a terrible lot of work in that area. Add a few new units and buildings (and keep a few from the original game for that little dash of nostalgia), change the tech trees around a bit, plus a few interesting bits and pieces, and you'll have a game that deserves to be called Starcraft's sequel.

If you already have a winning formula, you don't want to change it TOO much.

Last edited:
HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm, well with certain units good and bad against others, it ads the need for some more strategic forethought and planning.

But yeh, guess we'll find out what it's like after some games.

TERMINATOR-HX

HSC
Hmm, well with certain units good and bad against others, it ads the need for some more strategic forethought and planning.
You forgot to mention that it leaves spammers dead in the water lol.:)

But seriously, it means that to stay that critical step or two ahead, you have to know (or at least have a good idea) what the other guy is doing unit-wise at all times, which makes recon that much more important. That means that players are spending more time doing stuff and less time just sitting around their bases waiting for their armies to roll out, making for faster-paced gameplay. It also means that one particular strategy isn't going to win every single fight for you, forcing players to switch up strategies.

Faster placed gameplay + a variety of unit setups, strategies and tactics = a very engaging RTS

Last edited:

Silent_Sniper

Watching you through my sniper scope!!! Getting re
HSC

But seriously, it means that to stay that critical step or two ahead, you have to know (or at least have a good idea) what the other guy is doing unit-wise at all times, which makes recon that much more important. That means that players are spending more time doing stuff and less time just sitting around their bases waiting for their armies to roll out, making for faster-paced gameplay. It also means that one particular strategy isn't going to win every single fight for you, forcing players to switch up strategies.

Faster placed gameplay + a variety of unit setups, strategies and tactics = a very engaging RTS

Stuff the Recon LOL all out attack!!! hehe

HSC
Uni Grad

Indeed. I don't think I'll be particularly good at it considering i'm p bad at regular starcraft lol. I'm more of an rpg, arpg and fps kid, though I do quite like it, warcraft and HoN as well.

Maybe I'll actually be bothered to learn shit with this one, I never played SC online so it's only natural that when it came to lans and stuff I was shit.

TERMINATOR-HX

HSC
I'm not exactly a pro at SC either, but I did develop a strategy that guarantees a victory against the AI in about 5 minutes. It's not that complex either lol, but you gotta be at least somewhat quick building your base and getting your Barracks, Gateway, Spawning Pool etc.

It only applies to Custom games though. In the campaigns (or online, for that matter), you're on your own.

Btw I like Warcraft too. I play Warcraft III all the time. And I think Diablo II is still one of the better RPGs out there despite its age. But what's HoN? I'm curious.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)