Starting conics (1 Viewer)

benji_10

HSC
Just wanna know if there are any things like handy tips or pitfalls that one would want to know about before learning about conics.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Don't be afraid of heavy algebra...

benji_10

HSC
Heavy algebra's my middle name...

Lol in all honesty I don't mind heavy algebra. I do some 'weighty' questions sometimes to keep my skills up, but generally I don't mind it.

deterministic

HSC
On the other end of the scale, if you are doing too much algebra for conics, you are not doing it the way the question is meant to be done (ie. there is a better way)

If you master 3u parametrics, conic is not really hard.

K

khorne

1. know the conic definitions well
2. learn some theorems about the conic sections and properties, and know how to apply them
3. look for other ways to help do problems (like similar triangles, gradients etc)
4. Know your e definitions well, so you can make b^2 and a^2 substitutions, or e substitutions etc for algebra questions

Apart from that, it's pretty easy.

rawrence

HSC
If questions start to get a bit tricky, don't be afraid to try draw out an interpretation.

Do LOTS of questions so you'll be ready for anything when a test comes

Really know your definitions like PS/PM=e; this will allow you to solve bisector questions more easily

benji_10

HSC
Thanks guys, these are really helpful suggestions, keep em coming!

And would you need to know how to construct a conic section? My tutor showed us a method where you draw a ton of parallel lines equal in spacing apart and then constructed different conic sections based on the different definitions of e.

z3333001

Banned
HSC
N/A
My tutor .
mmm so I was right in flaming you on the trig question thread, you do have a tutor

you are the exact type of person i was talking about

how much do you pay for tutoring? $50+/hr? and then you come on here and want freebies. HA

Last edited by a moderator:

benji_10

HSC
@rapidly changing username, aka. BOF, genius..... and z3333....:
If you don't like people like me, then please stop coming to this site, because I wouldn't want you to encounter the other hundreds of people on this site who are just like me, just asking questions about maths, english, physics etc. And please, by all means, make more accounts and keep flaming me. I'm sure a lot of people enjoy reading these posts of yours that make you seem petty, unpleasant and childish, the direct opposite descriptors of a uni student, who should have better stuff to do other than flame people online. Maybe that's why you don't have any students.

And how about making another account under a different name, so I can have fun spotting you again. I'll PM you if I find you. Pinky promise.

And I was using sarcasm throughout the whole post. If you didn't catch it, let me know and I'll change my tone, just for you.

And btw, I was considering you as a tutor, considering your credentials, but darn it, you live too damn far away in the Eastern suburbs.

Complication

HSC
mmm so I was right in flaming you on the trig question thread, you do have a tutor

you are the exact type of person i was talking about

how much do you pay for tutoring? $50+/hr? and then you come on here and want freebies. HA
Sorry, Mr. Goodwin, "exactly the type of person"?

Are you a little upset of the capitalist system not giving you a fair chance? A little whiny about people getting help? A little scared that every person helped, is one person who ain't going to buy your idiotic tutoring? 1 year experience of tutoring? With that pathetic attitude, I don't see how you could've gained that credential. Regardless of the help you may have provided over the internet in the past, why are you being such an ass?

He ain't getting freebies, he is simply asking for help. So what if his tutor is getting paid and you ain't? Stop having a little hissyfit.

If you need money that bad, how about go and get a job other that tutoring? Stop being a massive asshat over the internet, and seriously just go for a freaking walk. You're utterly pathetic in what you're doing.

Saturn WY15

HSC
Sorry, Mr. Goodwin, "exactly the type of person"?

Are you a little upset of the capitalist system not giving you a fair chance? A little whiny about people getting help? A little scared that every person helped, is one person who ain't going to buy your idiotic tutoring? 1 year experience of tutoring? With that pathetic attitude, I don't see how you could've gained that credential. Regardless of the help you may have provided over the internet in the past, why are you being such an ass?

He ain't getting freebies, he is simply asking for help. So what if his tutor is getting paid and you ain't? Stop having a little hissyfit.

If you need money that bad, how about go and get a job other that tutoring? Stop being a massive asshat over the internet, and seriously just go for a freaking walk. You're utterly pathetic in what you're doing.
Thats gold

Complication

HSC
guessing complication is mr zombie omie garbo
I'm sorry, you're wrong, want to guess again?

Go for it, it only proves one thing, you're hated on this forum. Why don't you just go out for a walk, you know, with your legs?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)