Stat 272 (1 Viewer)

majan

HSC
Hi,

Just wondering, I only managed a 63 in stat 272, am I correct in assuming that if I get 67+ in stat 271 the university will still recommend me for the exemption.

Thanks

ascentyx

HSC
Accreditation Part 1 - Department of Actuarial Studies - Macquarie University

"For subjects CT3, CT5 and CT6, ideally you will earn this exemption by obtaining grades of credit or better in both the relevant Macquarie University units. If you only achieve this standard in one of the two units and obtain a Pass grade in the other, then the exemption will be recommended if and only if a SNG of at least 60 is achieved in both units and the average SNG is at least 65."

CT3 is the two stat units, 271 and 272 so yeah if you get 67 in the other it will average out to be 65 and you will be fine.

By the way are you a second year actuary?, if so would u be able to give me a rough indication of the difficulty of acst211. I know it's a bit off topic but i'm a first year and it would be interesting to know. Thanks.

Last edited:

majan

HSC
haha acst 211...oh god...paper 1 is easy enough...but paper 2 is killer...like i literally left that paper blank....however rumour has it if you can get one full question out in paper 2 u will score a credit...2 questions out a distinction etc..so yea..i guess if you do your work every week you will be fine..and also depends if you like all that permutations/combinations sort of stuff..g'luck with it....jim farmer is a great lecturer....

and thnx for the link...can rest easy now...

weiwern28

HSC
N/A
Yeah according to the rules, as long as you get above 60 in stat272 and obtain an average of 65 with stat271, then you'll get the exemption. But I felt 271 was a much crazier paper, could be because it was my third exam in a row, or the lecturer just zoomed pass multiple regression.

@ascentyx: Lol, you'll love 211

ascentyx

HSC
Yeah according to the rules, as long as you get above 60 in stat272 and obtain an average of 65 with stat271, then you'll get the exemption. But I felt 271 was a much crazier paper, could be because it was my third exam in a row, or the lecturer just zoomed pass multiple regression.

@ascentyx: Lol, you'll love 211
I read the syllabus and it seems 211 is heaps maths based. I hope it is because i would rather 'difficult' mathematical stuff than random theory etc.

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
In regards to the difficulty of ACST211, it's not that hard to Pass or even Credit, but it's pretty difficult to get Distinction or HD. If you can answer 1 question in paper 2 properly, or can get small bits out in each question, you should be able to Credit it. Paper 2 is pretty damn hard, so don't get discouraged if you walk out of the exam thinking "crap!" because about 50% on Paper 2 should be enough for a Distinction (unless you JUST got enough to pass Paper 1.. which will often need say, 80%+ to pass, but it's pretty dang easy).

Also, a big hint for ACST211 is that the paper 2 for each year tends to have a question that links to a particular question in the previous year.

kevinant

HSC
Yes, you can have one pass in STAT subjects and make it up in the second subject, like one of my fourth year friend did (but she did reverse-The harder subject was 271).

And for 211, the course is basically extension of combination and permutations in HSC 3Unit maths.
The Paper 1 is easy and as long as you performed reasonably well in paper 1 you'll definitely get a pass,
but to get credit or above you 'll definitely need to do paper 2.
There are one easy one and all others are outrageously hard (especially the questions asking you to find error in nearly-errorless solution-the lecturer loves to do that)
If you can show full understand of one question (or 10 marks +) you can get a credit like me and two questions is distinction, 3 or more Q is HD.....basically you can't really study for paper 2..

One of the question goes like this (almost everyone stucks on this one, except one person finished paper 2 in 30 mins and end up with 98)

Q:Say there are n points on a circle.

a.The maximum possible number of internal intersections can be made inside a circle. The internal intersection is formed by the line joining any of two points on the circumference.

b.The maximum possible number of external intersection can be made outside a circle. the external intersection is formed by extending the line connecting two points on the circumference to infinitely long distance.

ascentyx

HSC
In regards to the difficulty of ACST211, it's not that hard to Pass or even Credit, but it's pretty difficult to get Distinction or HD. If you can answer 1 question in paper 2 properly, or can get small bits out in each question, you should be able to Credit it. Paper 2 is pretty damn hard, so don't get discouraged if you walk out of the exam thinking "crap!" because about 50% on Paper 2 should be enough for a Distinction (unless you JUST got enough to pass Paper 1.. which will often need say, 80%+ to pass, but it's pretty dang easy).

Also, a big hint for ACST211 is that the paper 2 for each year tends to have a question that links to a particular question in the previous year.
Damn. I want to try and keep a GPA of 4, and a WAM or SNG or whatever of 85+ for as long as possible. I guess we are doing acst101 which i have heard is easy, and math133 can't be too hard, so i guess if i go well in those i can just get a D for 211 or whatever.

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
Damn. I want to try and keep a GPA of 4, and a WAM or SNG or whatever of 85+ for as long as possible. I guess we are doing acst101 which i have heard is easy, and math133 can't be too hard, so i guess if i go well in those i can just get a D for 211 or whatever.
ACST101 is a joke if you're an actuary lol.

Also, for other 2nd semester subjects, ECON111 is pretty straightforward, and ACCG105 is easy too. The only 2 worries for you will probably be MATH133 and ACST211. MATH133 is one of those subjects that takes a while to get your head around, but once you understand it (and are capable of doing the tutorials) the final exam will be doable since a lot of it will be right out of the tutorials. There won't be any big "surprises" in regards to the questions.

ACST211 is largely down to how well you perform on the day, but a D is far from impossible. One thing that's really important to Jim is your style when answering questions (aka how well you define notation, set out your solution etc) and often will include questions solely based around this. In one year, he had a question where a student wrote a solution but only had algebra rather than definitions/explanations, and you had to rewrite his solution properly. Make sure that you learn to define things well in ACST211, because not only does Jim like this, often you can scab marks in a paper 2 question if you don't know how to do it exactly.

Also, use reasonableness checks in ACST211 (eg if a 6-sided die has 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 on its sides and you're told to find the mean, make sure that the answer you get is between 1 and 6 and specifically state it. Jim likes this in his answers).

Good luck with everything!

ascentyx

HSC
ACST101 is a joke if you're an actuary lol.

Also, for other 2nd semester subjects, ECON111 is pretty straightforward, and ACCG105 is easy too. The only 2 worries for you will probably be MATH133 and ACST211. MATH133 is one of those subjects that takes a while to get your head around, but once you understand it (and are capable of doing the tutorials) the final exam will be doable since a lot of it will be right out of the tutorials. There won't be any big "surprises" in regards to the questions.

ACST211 is largely down to how well you perform on the day, but a D is far from impossible. One thing that's really important to Jim is your style when answering questions (aka how well you define notation, set out your solution etc) and often will include questions solely based around this. In one year, he had a question where a student wrote a solution but only had algebra rather than definitions/explanations, and you had to rewrite his solution properly. Make sure that you learn to define things well in ACST211, because not only does Jim like this, often you can scab marks in a paper 2 question if you don't know how to do it exactly.

Also, use reasonableness checks in ACST211 (eg if a 6-sided die has 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 on its sides and you're told to find the mean, make sure that the answer you get is between 1 and 6 and specifically state it. Jim likes this in his answers).

Good luck with everything!
Thanks for the long detailed response! If math133 is anything like math132 it should be alright too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)