STAT170 or STAT171 (1 Viewer)

fugi

HSC
hey, i'm a first year student starting appfin/law and am trying to finalise the units that i am doing. one of the choices i have is to choose between

STAT170 or STAT171.

i have heard stat170 is the easier topic, but what i would like to know is the how much more difficult it is, as if i am able do 171, i would like to do so.

is the difficulty level the leap from say 2u maths to 3u maths, or from 3u to 4u maths..which is quite considerably more

any help would be very much appreciated!

P

pLuvia

STAT170 is the easier version of STAT171, the majority of students who do STAT171 are actuarial students, and from personal experience the subject is a tad bit difficult (I managed a 70 after failing the mid semester lol). But after looking at one of my friends tutorial homework and assignments for STAT170 you could probably say STAT170 compared to STAT171 would be a leap from 3u to 4u maths

Also an indication of the difficulty of STAT170, my friend failed STAT171 and got a HD in STAT170 :p

fugi

HSC
pLuvia said:
But after looking at one of my friends tutorial homework and assignments for STAT170 you could probably say STAT170 compared to STAT171 would be a leap from 3u to 4u maths
icic.. is a bit worried now, since i did do 4u maths for two terms until i decided to drop it because i found it too time consuming, as well as that some of the concepts were rather hard to wrap my head around

loser101 said:
also i dont think u can do 171 unless you've 3u/4u maths, alternatively they dont let you do 170 if you did 3u/4unit maths
aah thats also what was confusing me a bit, because some ppl were saying that 171 was hard, except that the prerequisites for 171 only amount to hsc3u maths.

also, does anyone who is doing finance or appfin, know how big a part statistics plays to finance? i want to do 171 if i can, because it will give me a better foundation, but probably not at the expense of failing >___<

kevinant

HSC
I just find out that STAT171 is a compulsory subject for my degree at first year...I hope it's not gonna be harder than 5 unit maths...

P

pLuvia

Are you doing actuarial studies or maths advanced?

There is one key thing to remember for STAT171 is the basic concept of hypthesis testing, the subject is heavily based on that concept. If you understand that concept then you will be fine

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
do stat170 and make sure u do well in it so that your GPA stays nice and high

kevinant

HSC
pLuvia said:
Are you doing actuarial studies or maths advanced?

There is one key thing to remember for STAT171 is the basic concept of hypthesis testing, the subject is heavily based on that concept. If you understand that concept then you will be fine
Yeah...I'm doing actuarial studies so that's why it's a compulsory subject....
"hypthesis testing"?! Do you mean the concept of hypothesis in science experiment?!?!

fernando said:
do stat170 and make sure u do well in it so that your GPA stays nice and high
Well not for me...I don't have a choice as STAT171 is compulsory...

Last edited:

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
kevinant said:
Yeah...I'm doing actuarial studies so that's why it's a compulsory subject....
"hypthesis testing"?! Do you mean the concept of hypothesis in science experiment?!?!
Dont worry you'll find out soon enough.

And make sure you get Credit or above in it or you'll have to do it again.

kevinant

HSC
Hey do u think it's better to have tutorial right after lecture for STAT 171 or It's better to have lecture and tutorial on different day...

wah I don't wanna fail...I havn't failed anything since I was year 7 and dun want that record to be broken

P

pLuvia

Doesn't really matter, but try to have your tutorials to the end of the week, that way your little assessments that you may have will be later in the week hence you have more time to study for it

You don't fail the subject if you don't get a credit more that you have to repeat it because it is a prerequisite that you need a credit or better to do another subject in the next semester

kevinant

HSC
O ok so most homeworks/mini assignment are actually set and due during the tutorial class?! if so i better change it to friday

Another question: is credit 70+?!

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
kevinant said:
O ok so most homeworks/mini assignment are actually set and due during the tutorial class?! if so i better change it to friday

Another question: is credit 70+?!
credit is a mark between 65 and 74

aakash

HSC
ummm i would say STAT171 in hard coz u learn totally new concepts. actuarial students need atleast credit n so manyy end up repeating it. thats from my experience since i got Credit in 171 whereas for rest of the units in 1st year i got D or HD.
n yeh don freak out if u fail the mid-semester. manyyyyyy do (i mean it).
i failed it too but got 73 in the end. (yep that means i missed a perfect GPA of 4 by TWO marks) grrrrrr

havy

HSC
stat170 isn't hard at all... students are not required to derive any equations, they just need to sub the numbers in (all required info will be given in the questions). They don't even need to memorize the equations as they are provided in the exams and students can bring in an additional page of their own cheat sheet.

I'd say stat170 is alot easier than 2 unit math, since there's only basic calculation involved.

Last edited:

aakash

HSC
yep i would suggest that too...do stat170 unless you REALLY have to do stat171

and if anyone is doing stat171: am selling my textbook...
STAT171 - Probability and Statistics + CD(Mendenhall Beaver-12th Edition) - $80

u can contact me on 0403 550 276

HSC
the final exam was a bit challenging eh?
hoping for a D :). considering it is the 2nd time ive done the subject haha.

fugi

HSC
ok well i ended up doing stat170
cos everyone who did stat171 seemed to hate its guts LOLS

mm for anyone else deciding between the two...i cant say anything bout 171 cos i havnt done it but for 170, the concepts are pretty easy. and you get to take in a double sided sheet with anything at all on it into the final exam =)

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
Future reference to anyone who may look at this thread: 171 should generally be left to Actuarial/Maths/Stat students. 170 should suffice for everyone else. Unless you want a challenge (but what's the point,generally employers never look at how hard your subjects were, they screen people firstly by GPA, and don't go beyond that)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)