STAT171 First year pass (1 Viewer)

Krash

HSC
K i only got a pass in STAT171 where as i needed a credit minimum to get into ACST211 for second semester (actuarial kids probably already know this). I got 63 for STAT171 which is a real b*tch considering i was only 2 off a credit and i was wondering if anyone has else has been this close?,

Would the uni grant a waiver or something coz i was only 2 marks off and it was my first semester at uni or something? (highly doubt this but i still wanna be sure)

And finally i heard that u can squeeze the course into 4 years still after not getting the credit in STAT171, any1 got details on that?

Thanks

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
Virtually no chance of a waiver.

Assuming you do AppFin double you can still complete the degree in 4 years by doing STAT171 again in semester 1 of next year instead of the comp/isys subject. Then do 211 in semester 2 of next year. You can then do the comp/isys subject in either 1st semester of 3rd year or in 2nd semester of 4th year.

Don't worry about it too much since many people mess up 171, so it's no big deal. Also you'll find 211 a bit easier after doing stat272 anyway.

P

pLuvia

You won't be granted a waiver since it's the not the statistics departments problem, the credit minimum converns the actuarial department and even they won't grant you waivers lol

Following from what jake2.0 said, you can also do the comp/isys units in the summer and possibly ECON110 or ECON201 or any common subject which is still part of the actuarial core (this is assuming you are doing the actuarial/appfin double degree

Krash

HSC
jake2.0 said:
Virtually no chance of a waiver.

Assuming you do AppFin double you can still complete the degree in 4 years by doing STAT171 again in semester 1 of next year instead of the comp/isys subject. Then do 211 in semester 2 of next year. You can then do the comp/isys subject in either 1st semester of 3rd year or in 2nd semester of 4th year.

Don't worry about it too much since many people mess up 171, so it's no big deal. Also you'll find 211 a bit easier after doing stat272 anyway.
Thank you very much

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
Sorry to hear about the 63, but 37% of people failed to get the Credit in my year so it's nothing to be ashamed of :D.

The EFS department are very harsh, they won't give you a waiver unless you have a VERY legitimate reason. Being close to a cutoff that is a prerequisite isn't a good enough reason, especially since they would review your paper if you're close to a cutoff to see where you stand.

A lot of people did ECON201 in the summer, and are going to do ACCG253 this semester, so that's always an option.

Last edited:

HSC
i got 57 first time around in stat171. lets just say my mind wasn't really into uni the first semester. but having to repeat 171 gave me a kick up the ass :)

got 76 second time around (last semester) and pending a pass in acst211 ill be back on track to complete my degree in 4 years like my peers. in saying this i had to do 1 summer session to catch up and i have to do 1 more. it shall be loads of fun ahah.

don't get to down by it as mentioned earlier ALOT of actuaries have to repeat it. but make sure u pull ur finger out in second year. (2nd semester of first year is a breeze without acst211 in it :p)

kevinant

HSC
I think the stupid accounting in 2nd semester is much more harder than 211 and everything in 1st semester, STAT171 was easy as you are allowed to have you "own notes" in the exam (even get rid the burden of remembering formulas)I think most people failed STAT171 is probably they didn't write the assumptions properly for each test... Perhaps I'm a mathematical person and all you guys probably has done "business studies" or anything like that in year 12 which I havn't done and that's why you think 2nd semester is a breeze.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)