stat271 (1 Viewer)

Mini

relax
HSC
toknblackguy said:
how are you guys finding the tutes?
is that the best thing we can base the exam on, cause so far i've only been looking at the examples in the notes

argh, some of those tutes...
tute 4 was written by the devil himself. thats right, the weird guy in the red suit took special time to laugh mercilessly at our poor souls.
i've moved on to studying econ201 which hasta be one of the most boring subjects on the planet. can't... stay... awake........

RIZAL

HSC
haha... I didn't think tute 4 was the worst. I think he'd 'guide' us through the question and give us the necessary subtitutions if we ever had to find the variance of t or F.

3b of tute 1....I thought that was pretty gay. "this equation does not have a closed form solution. In practice, therefore, we need to solve it numerically, say by using Newton's method."

how about a nice warm cup of stfu!

RIZAL

HSC
anyone done q 4 tute 6?

Maybe it's because i've been studying too much and my brain is fried...but am I missing something here? :

part a) lambda(1, 2, X1) = L(2;X1)/L(1;X1) = 2X1/1.

How did he go straight to that without calculating the likelihood???

bong

HSC
its based on one observation, not a group, so the "joint" pdf is just the pdf of the single RV

toknblackguy

HSC
what are your takes on the 2-way anova?
did Ma hint that the anova question was gonna be 1 way or 2?
because i'm consideirng not even studying it, seems like too big a time-waster to be in the exam

ND

HSC
I dunno but i wouldn't leave it out. It doesn't take that long (but i haven't done any q's on it yet), and if it comes up you'll be fully screwed.

Mini

relax
HSC
we have 2 whole pages of notes we can take in. surely the 2-way anova formula can grace a small section... even if u don't have time to study it....

toknblackguy

HSC
oh i know i'll be able to put it in, sideways if needed ;)
but we didn't even cover it in tutorials
did any other classes manage to do it?

Mini

relax
HSC
wow, toknblackguy, u made stat dirty... nicely done :p

for stat272 i remembered the property of the memoryless exponential after this joke:
"what did the exponential say after sex?"
"could you do me again? i've forgotten what happened..."

oh and nah, we didn't cover 2way (3way, 4way, gettin crazy now) in tutes. he said he'd put up practice q's for anyone that wanted them - and that he did.

toknblackguy

HSC
Mini said:
wow, toknblackguy, u made stat dirty... nicely done :p
hahaha and what's that supposed to mean?

and i guess it looks like i'm going take a gamble and not bother with the 2-way anova :eek:

ND

HSC
In tute 3, Q4, does anyone know where he got the covariance from at the end? (i.e. why does it equal 1/4(var(Xbar)-var(Ybar)))

RIZAL

HSC
the regression question....do you think it will be simple linear or multiple??? Just crammed simple linear...should I bother with multiple?

ND

HSC
I think it's definately possible. At least make sure you have it on your sheet.

Man i fully can't study tonight... Think i'm just gonna rely on my sheet.

Mini

relax
HSC
Allow me to be the first to say: OH MY GOD. HOLY F*** (not sure if post will be deleted if i swear...)

that was an unbelievably shocking paper. proofs, derivations - complicated intensive algebra - find the asymptotic distributions of things...

ONE QUESTION, oh my GOD:

"you have Y11, y12, y13... y1n and y21, y22, y23... y2n - DERIVE A REGRESSION MODEL that finds the equivalent mu. "

no such regression model was taught to us. we had to create one. we had to DERIVE a mathematical relationship, test statistic and all. and it was maybe a max 10marks. people spend YEARS researching, doing PhD's etc to come up with new models, and we have to do it in the space of about 10 minutes.

i failed. i totally failed.
on the plus side, jacky poon did not finish either. nor did several other math/stat geniuses i spoke to.

heres hopes they scale us up about 20marks each. i want my exemption!!

what did u all reckon?

ND

HSC
Yep it was definately tough, and pretty long. Can't say i was expecting much less though.

bong

HSC
was not pretty... could barely do half the bloody paper, bullshitted a few, left the rest

does that mean if jacky didnt finish, there's more room to scale marks up :D

RIZAL

HSC
that paper was insane. stat272, acst200, acst255, acst211 are all walks in the park compared to 271

bong

HSC
anyone actually think they'll complete the exemption? im doubting i'd get 60, let alone 65

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)