State of Origin Thread (1 Viewer)

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Squads were announced today, im surprised at a few selections. i think not having scott hill there for nsw is a mistake. timmins is a good player but he's not made to be a 5/8. Also whats the go with robbie kearns, shouldnt be in there? he's a machine, unless he retired from rep footy.
As with the qld squad, what the hell is hodges doing their, and to make things worse he's on the wing. they should of picked chikovski(spelling) at fullback and put whesser and slater on the wings with hannay/bowman and tate in the centres.

-------
NSW
-------
1 Ben Hornby (Dragons)
2 Anthony Minichiello (Roosters)
3 Mark Gasnier (Dragons)
4 Matthew Gidley (Knights)
5 Luke Lewis (Panthers)
6 Shaun Timmins (Dragons)
7 Craig Gower (Panthers)
8 Ryan O'Hara (Raiders)
9 Danny Buderus, captain (Knights)
10 Mark O'Meley (Bulldogs)
11 Nathan Hindmarsh (Eels)
12 Andrew Ryan (Bulldogs)
13 Craig Fitzgibbon (Roosters)

Subs:
14 Willie Mason (Bulldogs)
15 Brent Kite (Dragons)
16 Craig Wing (Roosters)
17 Trent Waterhouse (Panthers)

Standby:
18 Kurt Gidley (Knights)

-------
QLD
-------
1 Rhys Wesser (Panthers)
2 Justin Hodges (Roosters)
3 Paul Bowman (Cowboys)
4 Brent Tate (Broncos)
5 Billy Slater (Storm)
6 Darren Lockyer, captain (Broncos)
7 Scott Prince (Wests Tigers)
8 Shane Webcke (Broncos)
9 Cameron Smith (Storm)
10 Steven Price (Bulldogs)
11 Michael Crocker (Roosters)
12 Dane Carlaw (Broncos)
13 Tonie Carroll (Broncos)

Subs:
14 Ben Ross (Panthers)
15 Petero Civoniceva (Broncos)
16 Travis Norton (Cowboys)
17 Chris Flannery (Roosters)

Standby:
18 Matthew Bowen (Cowboys)

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
should be an interesting series ...

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
prolly a good move putting wesser at full back, imo. he is at his best there, it would be unjust to force him to play elsewhere.

who else could be the 5/8th for NSW?

umm....go NSW!! it will be pretty close i would think, with many of NSW players missing.

RiCe_GrOwEr

Designated Hitter
HSC
N/A
Hmmm.... I thought Morrison and Clinton should of been in the squad....

Got decision to have Gower @ no.7 instead of Noddy.........

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
glen morrison, he got jipped.

devere got jipped also, they could of had minichello at fullback like usual and devere/lewis on the wing. oh well.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
And another question, how did Buderus make Captain? Because Andrew Johns wrote an entire article about it in the Telegraph?

parallel vision

FIRE UP!
gasnier was a good choice

hornby's been playin well, but they should have gone with more experienced minichello at fullback and de vere on wing. and i agree about hill being 5/8 with timmins at lock. joel clinton should have also been in the team, with mason and ryan missing out.

fletcher should have also been in there...but only coz im a souths supporter

qld team is alright, will be interesting to see how billy slater goes. karmichal hunt should have been fullback though, he's a gun, i think bennett had some input in his ommission...

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
im not too happy with the NSW side, mainly becuz Hill, DeVere and Clinton missed out. i also think Gower should be captain, cuz he's had more experience being captain than Buderus at club level

and is Lockyer playin the first game or what??

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by parallel vision
hornby's been playin well, but they should have gone with more experienced minichello at fullback
That's why I'm so suprised. I'd never heard of Hornby till the team was released and Mini played outstanding last year. What's wrong with him again?

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Yeah, I don't like Gould very much. When Ricky Stuart takes over, I'll be content.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
why get rid of one of their best counter attack options with minochello at Fullback and put hornby... wtf he wasnt even in the city/country... instead devere missed out even after playing the kiwis...

timmins isnt a 5/8....he's just a lock wearing the no.6 jumper..... cept this time there isnt johns to do everything... scott hill dominated the city/country (does it even matter)......

bth fletcher and morrison r better than ryan...

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Originally posted by Loz#1
Who the fuck is Ben Hornby?
if you've seen his form this year, its been pretty top notch, especially the last few weeks. but i am very surprised at his selection.

also, i wouldnt have karmichael hunt play...too much pressure for the kid. as if pick hunt over chicovski and whesser anyway and billy slater for that matter in the fullback position.

KfWang

i reakcon hunt wasnt too much of a bad choice, its a shame that so many knights are injured though lol, and theres nothing wrong with Buderus going as captain, its not like hes got no experience, and he is one of the most experienced State of Origin for NSW this time round, so theres no reason why he shouldnt be captain..

i was dissapointed at Amos Roberts not being picked--> being the leading try-scorer and all
Joel Clinton--> one of the best forwards .. GO THE SIDEBURNS!!!!
and someone told me that Mini wasnt chosen for fullback because he lacks a short kicking game skills... since when did fullbacks need to do short kicks?

the teams these year have been promptly fucked up i reakcon..
though by this season it seems that team pull out surprising shit when they got their backs against the wall, so it should be good

GO NSW!!!

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Buderus as captain is a good choice, less pressure on Gower in making set piece decisions and such.

And1

HSC
Like everyone else I thought there were some odd selections (ie. fullback, five-eighth etc.) but I guess we'll all just have to wait and see how this team performs in Game 1.

I would have liked to see:

1. Anthony Minichiello
2. Michael De Vere
3. Matt Gidley
4. Mark Gasnier
5. Luke Lewis
6. Scott Hill
7. Craig Gower
8. Joel Clinton
9. Danny Buderus (c)
10. Mark O'Meeley
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Craig Fitzgibbon
13. Shaun Timmins
--
14. Willie Mason
15. Ryan O'Hara
16. Craig Wing
17. Trent Waterhouse

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)