State Rank (1 Viewer)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
State ranks are determined using students' HSC marks, which are the final marks they receive in their subjects, comprised of an Assessment Mark and an Examination Mark, each worth 50% of the HSC mark.

A student's chance of receiving a state rank also depends on Course Candidature and Maximum place in Top Achievers, as seen in the table below:

1635502367238.png

There are of course instances where students are equal on the highest HSC marks in a course. In such a case, the following process is used to determine the recipient(s):
  1. take an average of each student's Examination Mark and Assessment Mark after alignment to performance bands, each to one decimal place.
  2. take an average of each student's Examination Mark and Assessment Mark before alignment to performance bands, each to two decimal places.
  3. if an Extension course, use the marks awarded for other courses in the subject area.
I hope this helps! :D

quickoats

HSC
They should really base state ranks on only externals imo. The final exam is the fairest representation of you as a student. Plus, everyone sits the exact same exam.
only the internal rank affects state rank. If two people from the same school tie on the HSC exam but one is ahead of the other internally, then the one that is ahead should be getting a higher SR

zizi2003_

HSC
only the internal rank affects state rank. If two people from the same school tie on the HSC exam but one is ahead of the other internally, then the one that is ahead should be getting a higher SR
what if person 1 is ranked internally higher than person 2 but gets lower in the hsc exam than person 2, what happens then? does person 1 still get a higher state rank

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
I think you missed my point. And yes I do understand that if they based sr on only the HSC then it would be fair to assume a lot of people will be getting those equal high marks which would create a dilemma on who should receive sr.

Last edited:

quickoats

HSC
what if person 1 is ranked internally higher than person 2 but gets lower in the hsc exam than person 2, what happens then? does person 1 still get a higher state rank
person 2 may not be getting a state rank but i think is more likely to receive one (but it is possible especially in higher ranked schools - i have heard of 2nds internally getting an SR)
they would have a higher raw unaligned HSC mark => higher in the rankings according to the 2nd criterion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)