State Ranking even if you are ranked second internally? (1 Viewer)

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
Is it possible to attain a state ranking for a subject even if you are ranked second internally? Just wondering

lionking1191

HSC
fallenstar said:
Is it possible to attain a state ranking for a subject even if you are ranked second internally? Just wondering
yes

last year we had 3 state rankings (top 20) for eco and there were no ties

Enobarbus

HSC
N/A
fallenstar said:
yep, but only if your cohort does well in the course

friction

HSC
State ranking goes only on your marks its only if you are tied with someone else that it goes to your overall mark. Thats is what i read somewhere anyway.

Enobarbus

HSC
N/A
friction said:
State ranking goes only on your marks its only if you are tied with someone else that it goes to your overall mark. Thats is what i read somewhere anyway.
the rankings are based on your HSC Mark, which is half Assessment and half Exam

friction

HSC
Now im gonna have to look for where it said that.

If two or more students receive the same HSC Mark, the average of the examination mark and the assessment mark are then used to select the top student(s).

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/FSTIC_2007_12.php

that is what i read i just realised i may have read it wrong but i am still unsure because i thought the HSC mark was the average of the other marks so maybe it is just the individuals mark.

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I think what they mean is they will use decimals in the averaged mark to determine the placing. Note that all HSC marks are reported as a whole number. The averaged mark from the exam and assessment mark (both of which may contain decimals) may contain decimals that are not reported to students.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
fallenstar said:
Yes it is entirely possible. Last year, one school gained the top 4 State rankings in Society and Culture.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
You don't even need the person ranked first and third to get state rankings. In 2005, a guy from my former school came 2nd in the state in History Extension who wasn't ranked first internally. In fact, the person who came first internally never achieved a state ranking.
Similarly, a girl came 10th in the state for Biology in 2005 and didn't even come first internally. She was the only person to achieve a state ranking in the school for Biology. The person who came first internally did not get a state ranking at all.

Enobarbus

HSC
N/A
Survivor39 said:
Yes it is entirely possible. Last year, one school gained the top 4 State rankings in Society and Culture.
and another school got 9 of the top 10 in agriculture.

/stops gloating

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
it still doesn't seem that clear to me

ok so for example say if someone came 30th in their school for a subject but their external mark was 100, and internal lets say 85, wud he get a state ranking? or not? thats all i'm wondering, like wud he just be ranked after the other people who got 100 in the external exam or wud he just get no ranking

dp624

HSC
He wouldn't cos that's 93 overall, and usually 93 won't cut it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)