• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

State Ranks? (1 Viewer)

OH1995

HSC
Hey Guys,

Can anyone give me a definite explanation of how state ranks work?
For example, I know usually you have to be ranked first internally in your school to get a state rank, unless you go to say Ruse or you can be ranked just under first and still blitz the externals to get a state rank.
But how does it work if the people ranked first internally from different schools get the same mark and one may be elegible for a state rank and the other not. Because I assume with the sheer amount of people undertaking these courses that there would be much more than 20 or 10 who would be eligible externally for a state rank.
So I suppose my question is, how do they determine them, is the strength of your cohort, or your assessment marks taken into consideration when awarding state ranks?

Cheers!

enoilgam

HSC
From the official BoS website:

"The Top Achievers in Course List shows the students in the top places in each course, provided they have also achieved Band 6 or Band E4, as appropriate. The number of students reported depends on the course candidature (see table below). Students are ranked by their HSC mark. Where students have equal HSC marks, they are then ranked by the average of their examination marks and their assessment marks, each taken to one decimal place. In the case of extension courses, marks awarded for other courses in the subject area are also taken into consideration when students are tied. The list shows the student's name and teaching school, and their place in the course."

OH1995

HSC
Isn't the HSC mark already an average of the examination and assessment mark?

OH1995

HSC
Oh, i'm assuming they mean your actual mark they send to the BOS to rank you.

OH1995

HSC
Doesn't it then mean that schools that have easier assessments or more lax marking will have a greater chance of potential success if they performed strongly externally>

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
Doesn't it then mean that schools that have easier assessments or more lax marking will have a greater chance of potential success if they performed strongly externally>
Internals have to be legit, if anyone complains, the BoS will rain fire on any faculty which appears to be giving out inappropriate assessments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)