States of ethanol and glucose in fermentation (1 Viewer)

harry4

HSC
In fermentation what are the states of glucose and ethanol cos i am doing a multiple choice and one has glucose as aqueous and ethanol as aqueous and the other as glucose as solid and ethanol as liquid

i thought that glucose was aqueous and ethanol was liquid

btw are fuels such as octane liquid or aqueous
and what about ethylene

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
Both glucose and ethanol are aqueous in fermentation.

chuboy

HSC
In fermentation what are the states of glucose and ethanol cos i am doing a multiple choice and one has glucose as aqueous and ethanol as aqueous and the other as glucose as solid and ethanol as liquid

and what about ethylene
Octane is liquid. I think they are liquids from around pentane?

Don't overlook things like temperature and pressure. Methane is gaseous, ethanol can be gaseous if the temperature is high enough, bromine is both a gas and liquid.

Solutions are always (aq).

Last edited:

Marina89

HSC
On that note, do you think that if we get a state wrong in an equation we wouldn't get the mark?

chuboy

HSC
On that note, do you think that if we get a state wrong in an equation we wouldn't get the mark?
Only if it got to the point where everyone was getting the basic answer, and they needed to see who knew their states correctly to distinguish the wheat from the chaff.

Also some equations we are expected to learn the states - e.g. Haber process, formation of acid rain etc.

brenton1987

HSC
N/A
Octane is liquid, so is ethylene.
But don't try and outdo yourself, don't overlook things like temperature and pressure. Methane is almost always gaseous and ethane can be gaseous if the temperature is high enough.
Methane boils at -161.5 oC, ethane at -88.6 oC, and ethene at -103.7 oC.
There wont be a time when any of them are liquid.

Kamal15

HSC
To answer the original question
Both ethanol and glucose are in fact aqueous
This is why ethanol that is produced through fermentation must later be distilled to obtain a purer liquid form

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC

and what about ethylene
glucose aqueous for fermentation (one of the conditions necessary is: moist/humid and glucose readily dissolves in water)

however ethanol is liquid,,,,ethanol and water are MISCIBLE liquids and so the final by product is an ethanol-water MIXTURE, not solution

To answer the original question
Both ethanol and glucose are in fact aqueous
This is why ethanol that is produced through fermentation must later be distilled to obtain a purer liquid form
distillation is also used to separate MISCIBLE liquids, such as the ethanol-water mixture obtained from fermentation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)