Stem Cell Research, Genetic Engineering (1 Viewer)

bshoc

HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
Ah yes, because bioethics, neurology, cybernetics and prosthetics have ALL been less than 20 years in the making? lol. You're so fucking backward.
No but they've all made intermediate progress ..

bshoc

HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
learn2spell?
how did i spell biotechnics wrong idiot?

technics - technology

techinics, ballistics, ethics ... notice a patern ..

omg idiot ..

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Man, you do know stem-cell research is a part of biotechnology, right? It really seems odd to me that in claiming other promising fields should be looked into... you actually mentioned fields where stem-cell research is one of their main focuses lol.

Last edited:
K

katie_tully

Also, one of the main focuses of stem cell research is on neurology. It's already showing promise with paralysed mice and as previously mentioned degenerative brain diseases.
It's hoped the research will provide ansers for Alzheimers, dementia, cerebal palsy, paralysis and MS.

I don't think he does. One of the reasons for interest into stem cell research is the fact that damaged nerve and brain cells are irreparable by current scientific methods; it's hoped we can instead create new, undiseased and undamaged cells.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
katie_tully said:
Also, one of the main focuses of stem cell research is on neurology. It's already showing promise with paralysed mice and as previously mentioned degenerative brain diseases.
It's hoped the research will provide ansers for Alzheimers, dementia, cerebal palsy, paralysis and MS.

I don't think he does. One of the reasons for interest into stem cell research is the fact that damaged nerve and brain cells are irreparable by current scientific methods; it's hoped we can instead create new, undiseased and undamaged cells.
People are supposed to die, don't reverse the effects of darwinism.

Embryonic Stem Cell Research = Destroys living embryos for pluripotonic stem cells which can be manufactured in a more humane way.

Stem Cell Research = Good for short term, but bad for long term. (Different of other modern day medicine.)

Fuck off, of the internet you right-winged moron.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
People aren't 'supposed' to do anything, darwinism (and basically all science ;) ) merely notes what IS happening.

Embryonic Stem Cell Research = Destroys living embryos for pluripotonic stem cells which can be manufactured in a more humane way.
Explain to me how you can create insulin producing cells without using embryonic stem cells?

Stem Cell Research = Good for short term, but bad for long term. (Different of other modern day medicine.)
Why?

K

katie_tully

This isn't about preventing death, it's about improving quality of life. Because we're all supposed to die, we're all supposed to live in pain until that happens?

Fuck off, of the internet you right-winged moron.
I think I shall...stay.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Man, you do know stem-cell research is a part of biotechnology, right? It really seems odd to me that in claiming other promising fields should be looked into... you actually mentioned fields where stem-cell research is one of their main focuses lol.
There are fields within biotechnology that are both ethical and succesful, most notably, adult stem cell research.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
People aren't 'supposed' to do anything, darwinism (and basically all science ;) ) merely notes what IS happening.
True, I suppose. People will be immortal some day. ZOMG Colonies of Immortal universe destroyers!

Explain to me how you can create insulin producing cells without using embryonic stem cells?
The same way the body does?

Weakens human species by allowing weaker traits to be inherited by future generations eg(Heart Disease)

bshoc

HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
Gasp, but didn't you say stem cell research has yielded NOTHING?
embryonic and the research that bill adressed has yielded nothing, correct.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The same way the body does?
Impossible without embryonic stem-cells.

Weakens human species by allowing weaker traits to be inherited by future generations eg(Heart Disease)
Well if such technology went far enough, heart disease would be eliminated. The only real long-term fear that I can think of (that I thought you were going to bring up) is a huge population of near-immortals in a universe of finite (that we can access) resources.

There are fields within biotechnology that are both ethical and succesful, most notably, adult stem cell research.
lol.... If you accept that stem-cell research has been successful then I have no idea how you can imagine that embyronic stem cell research has not - It's the same science just applied to different cases.

Last edited:

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
katie_tully said:
Which we've already discussed as being incorrect!
It's not a solution, it's actually lowering the quality of the homo-sapien species. If such weak and inferior traits are allowed to be inherited by future generations, then the future generation will be weaker, less-versatile, more susceptible to allergies and infections. (Basically, like michael jacksons children. A cold breeze gives them a head-cold.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)