Still confused about phonons in BCS. (1 Viewer)

Jase

HSC
Okay so.. i know "what" a phonon is. It's a quantised lattice vibration right?
It's a boson with zero spin.

But what does it have to do with BCS theory? What is the significance of a phonon being given off when it attracts the lattice?

So an electron travels through, attracts the lattice, gives off a phonon, increase positive charge, attract other electron = cooper pair.

Does this have something to do with the cooper pairs *themselves* being a phonon. As in... these electrons gather at the Fermi level (lowest state) and ..somehow.... indirectly... become bosons that don't comply to exclusion?

snoopwogg

HSC
Okay, umm ihavent heard of any of the words you have used so far. All we know is that the phonon energy, along with the net spin of the 2 electrons being zero, keeps the cooper pairs together. It is the electron-phonon-electron interraction that guides the uninhibited movement of the cooper pair through the lattice. So im guessing that a phonon provides extra energy for electrons to keep together rather than be attracted to the lattice. I think u guys are looking too in depth into this stuff.

Steven12

Lord Chubbington
HSC
i think the exchange of phonon allows 2 electrons to bind together and help each other to travel through the lattice without resistance

senso

Left BOS 11/04
HSC
N/A
as the excel book says, just take it for what it is. You only really need to know the very basics, because you need mroe complicated physics to understand the whole thing.

jang

is not my real name
HSC
phonon from the first electron is transferred to the lattice which transfers it to the second electron thus keepin the cooper pair in close proximity albeit their electrostatic repulsion

Jase

HSC
ahha... I posted in that thread, but it just made it more and more confusing to me.

But okay thanks everyone! I kinda get it now..

..basically it's just the imaginary particle that i will take for granted and say that it somehow mediates a superfluid link between the two electrons, through lattice vibrations.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
its a quantum unit of sound energy, which basically is absorbed by the second electron and gives it enough energy to over come the columb repulsion of the 1st electron, thus they can travel together

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)