• A Bored of Studies event for HSC students
    Coming soon...
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Still confused by the moderation (1 Viewer)

[ ]

HSC
Say, five students
Internal:
A - 90
B - 85
C - 83
D - 80
E - 75

External:
B - 95
A - 85
C - 80
D - 85
E - 80

Internal mark of A becomes 95 since A is ranked first in the internals, but what happens to the internal marks to students like B?

Velocifire

HSC
B gets 85 for their internal mark since they were second internally.

They take the second-highest result from the externals, and that becomes their internal mark.

So 85 internal, 95 external for student B which should get him a 90 overall which is a band 6.

[ ]

HSC
B gets 85 for their internal mark since they were second internally.

They take the second-highest result from the externals, and that becomes their internal mark.

So 85 internal, 95 external for student B which should get him a 90 overall which is a band 6.
So, say if you're the second and got an 70%+ for your internals, but the second highest external mark was like 40, you achieved an external mark of 90 but because of the moderation you can only get the forty. What's the point of studying hard for the externals then if you have a really bad cohort?

jojosiwa123

HSC
So, say if you're the second and got an 70%+ for your internals, but the second highest external mark was like 40, you achieved an external mark of 90 but because of the moderation you can only get the forty. What's the point of studying hard for the externals then if you have a really bad cohort?
welllll that's why selective schools do so well, their cohorts are really good and students are able to lift each others marks up, while at most other schools only 1-3 people get a band 6 in every subject. This is why ranks are so important especially for those w bad cohorts as the higher your rank is the less you'll be impacted by your year group's performance.
Your internal mark of 70% doesn't matter, as all schools mark papers differently. The moderation is to even out everyone in the state's school marks and hsc marks. For example the 70% at someone's school might just equal 40% in the HSC due to easier marking at school or easy assignments.

studying for externals is still really important bc they're worth 50%.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
It’s not exactly a one-to-one allocation of external marks like that.

The gaps between the internal marks are largely preserved. So if there is a small gap between first and second in the internals then that gap remains small, regardless of what that gap looks like for externals.

This is achieved by fitting a curve through the internal marks such that the endpoints of the curve are similar to the top/bottom external marks and the cohort average for internals equals the cohort average for externals.

[ ]

HSC
It’s not exactly a one-to-one allocation of external marks like that.

The gaps between of the internal marks are largely preserved. So if there is a small gap between first and second in the internals then that gap remains small, regardless of what that gap looks like for externals.

This is achieved by fitting a curve through the internal marks such that the endpoints of the curve are similar to the top/bottom external marks and the cohort average for internals equals the cohort average for externals.
I've heard from the teacher who "taught" us about the moderation, saying that you only get the marks from the person who has the same rank of the externals as your rank for your internals, but I also see some people say that it also depends on the gaps between the one higher than you and the one lower than you, so I'm confused and just hope someone can clarify it for me.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I've heard from the teacher who "taught" us about the moderation, saying that you only get the marks from the person who has the same rank of the externals as your rank for your internals, but I also see some people say that it also depends on the gaps between the one higher than you and the one lower than you, so I'm confused and just hope someone can clarify it for me.
There are a lot of myths out there. Suggest having a read of NESA’s official explanation, which is consistent with what I have said:

[ ]

HSC
welllll that's why selective schools do so well, their cohorts are really good and students are able to lift each others marks up, while at most other schools only 1-3 people get a band 6 in every subject. This is why ranks are so important especially for those w bad cohorts as the higher your rank is the less you'll be impacted by your year group's performance.
Your internal mark of 70% doesn't matter, as all schools mark papers differently. The moderation is to even out everyone in the state's school marks and hsc marks. For example the 70% at someone's school might just equal 40% in the HSC due to easier marking at school or easy assignments.

studying for externals is still really important bc they're worth 50%.
I know that.. what I mean is that if you didn't get the best mark and if you have a really bad cohort, what is the point to do well in the hsc exam since your probably not going to get the marks you want? I'm just being negative so ye

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)