• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

still on subjects... (1 Viewer)

beckles

at boarding school in the mighty town of Tamworth
HSC
ok, im keeping maths now for sure. i talked to my careers adviser and dropping doesnt seem to be an option now, however, i still really do need to drop a subject. i know the choice is mine but its sooo hard to make!
here they are again:
> the mark at the end is a possible realistic mark for thw HSC

Chem (one assessment so far 12/15) could get >70 working hard

Bio (" " 10.1/15 but it was a prac i stuffed and there are no more prac exams) >80

maths (adv) (got one tomoz i should be studying for now!!) >70

Eng (adv) (had one, 23.5/25 and it was worth 25%) >80

Ext. eng (about to get it back) >70

drama (had two: 8/10 and 4.2/5) >80-90

modern history (had one 18/20) >80-90

want to do med. but realising it might not be very realistic anymore so im not sure. have to go study for maths!
any suggestions are more than welcome...
thnx,
bec :)

Last edited:

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
A simple question, that mightn't be so easy to answer:
- Which do you enjoy the least?

That should solve the problem as to which subject you should drop.

7minute

HSC
beckles said:
want to do med. but realising it might not be very realistic anymore so im not sure. have to go study for maths! any suggestions are more than welcome...
Don't give up on med. If that's what you want to do, go for it! And there are graduate medical degrees as well (you do that after your bachelors). As to which subject to drop, well, which do you enjoy the least? It's much easier to study for and work at something that you really enjoy, rather than something you don't particularly like.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
beckles said:
i cant believe im competing with genius's like you! thats a scary thought! to even think about aiming that high for me is crazy. how the hell did you get so good at maths? good luck to you buddy, you'll obviously do fine!
bec...
I'm no genius...and that UAI aim is just something to keep me motivated - whether or not I get it (or even close to it) is an entirely different matter :p

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
Rench.... dont talk urself down, wot was it 98 in 2u, and 46 (or was it 47)/50 in 3u.... n u think that is impressive he did it in yr 11. Rench is a freak... althou he dose 4u so ur not realy competing wif him... lol... ull be fine, just try hard

Trev

stix
HSC
JamiL said:
Rench.... dont talk urself down, wot was it 98 in 2u, and 46 (or was it 47)/50 in 3u.... n u think that is impressive he did it in yr 11. Rench is a freak... althou he dose 4u so ur not realy competing wif him... lol... ull be fine, just try hard
I think he got 47/50 for extension 1, however correct me if I am wrong.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
JamiL said:
Haha...I definitely wouldn't call myself a freak :p
My mark for MX1 was 48/50, which is by no means freaky when compared to the 99s and 100s that other BoSers have attained.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I think another thing that should be factored in is how you rank in those subjects and also how you think you will rank at the end.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
give me those marks and then we'll talk about having crappy marks compared to what you did. :p

JamiL

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Haha...I definitely wouldn't call myself a freak :p
My mark for MX1 was 48/50, which is by no means freaky when compared to the 99s and 100s that other BoSers have attained.
yer man rench u did so crap man, only 96% in MX1, mind u u were in yr 11... id be happy wif that any day... u did well... n arguing that, but did u eva consider keeping 2u and not doin maths this yr???

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I am proud to say I am one of the very few that managed to beat him :p

Are you doing 3 unit again this year ~ ReNcH ~?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
acmilan said:
I am proud to say I am one of the very few that managed to beat him :p

Are you doing 3 unit again this year ~ ReNcH ~?
Nope...no MX1 for me again this year.
I get this feeling that the 2005 paper is going to be harder than the 2004 paper, coz looking back at 2003, 2001 etc they were harder than 2004...so I'm just glad to have got it out of the way :)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
JamiL said:
yer man rench u did so crap man, only 96% in MX1, mind u u were in yr 11... id be happy wif that any day... u did well... n arguing that, but did u eva consider keeping 2u and not doin maths this yr???
lol. :p
Of course I'm happy with my mark, but now MX2 is still a considerable hurdle...as for keeping 2U, I did think about it last year. But once I started MX2 I realised that it was pretty interesting, so I decided to keep MX2.

IceBreaker

HSC
how do students accelerate subjects when it may severly affect their other subjects in yr 10(SC) and 11?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
IceBreaker said:
how do students accelerate subjects when it may severly affect their other subjects in yr 10(SC) and 11?
Generally the students who are selected as accelerants are already identified as being capable of handling two sets of work at the same time before getting into the class. So that problem usually doesn't arise.

IceBreaker

HSC
more specifically i mean that it would certainly have to clash in some of your other classes.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
IceBreaker said:
more specifically i mean that it would certainly have to clash in some of your other classes.
Are you referring to the timetabling of subjects, or the actual fact that accelerants have more to study?

If it's the former, then in my case we just did Yr 11 work in Yr 10 and we were expected to already know Yr 10 work. Or if we didn't, then we'd be expected to catch up quickly. We didn't have periods set aside for accelerated work.

If it's the latter, then as above in my first reply.

IceBreaker

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Are you referring to the timetabling of subjects, or the actual fact that accelerants have more to study?

If it's the former, then in my case we just did Yr 11 work in Yr 10 and we were expected to already know Yr 10 work. Or if we didn't, then we'd be expected to catch up quickly. We didn't have periods set aside for accelerated work.

If it's the latter, then as above in my first reply.
both actually, since timetabling will affect your yr10 work, you will have to make that up at home and work on yr11 work too. this will then may affect on you School Certificate result. But then again accelerants are capable to balance it both out :)

JamiL

HSC
well with us we did alot of work after school certificate, and we stayed back a week n half and did maths 3hrs a day 4 about 7 days. after that we had finish intro 2 caculus and geometrical significance if the second derivitive. n we finish well b4 ne other class. its easyer cos u only do 1 HSC subject not 5 or 6. n the prelim shit i didn try 4 neway.. lol.
we did start late, ours was the 1st class 2 eva accell in a subject, n we only did 2u not 3u. althou with betta organisation u can be fine.
we did have after skool classes every monday 2, which was shit but u put up wif it. im glad ive done all the 2u work, n basicly finish 3u now a term early, i can consentrate on 4u.
at my school all 4u maths students have 2 sit 2u exam, so incase they drop, n we dont have 2 do that cos we already have a 2u mark. so that saves us tym on assements 2.
i no that i would rather have the preasure on in prelim a lil more and take it from HSC. it also gives u an insite in2 the HSC, its less nerve rackn, like i no a guy that got 55odd % in his 1st 2 assesment and got 91... thats preety amazing turn around, another was gettin 30% n got 75 as a mark, n will prob get 90+ now. it percks defenetly out weigh and negatives

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)