stimulus booklet- fractals and sturts dreaming + changing perspective (1 Viewer)

kaz84

hey can anyone help me with two texts from the stimulus booklet.
I'm doing changing perspective and although i may not need to kno about sturts dreaming or fractals i thought id better fing out WHAT THE HELL DO THEY HAVE TO DO WITH CHANGING PERSPECTIVE????
if we have to write about them i better kno so can anyone help??? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE :D :mad:

First off, they can't specify things from the stimulus booklet--that's been discussed many times now..

but here goes:
*Fractals
-- multimedia text: represents chaging face of text, forcing people to accept this as a new way of communicating information--changing THEIR perspective to embrace technological advancements
-- impact of technology on the production of texts
-- new research methods and search engines available to users--new information access
-- revolution of research is shown through the interactive element of electronic text: text connects to each other through hyperlinks and icons
-- new ways in which texts can be read: promotes new approaches to reading and literacy--> person searches for relevant info and can find that in various forms (text, graphs, diagrams)
Generally, fractals repreself change themselves through their self repeating properties, change is explored: how knowledge is developed and suggests that humanity is in a constant state of change with developments--constantly changing their perspective/outlook

*Sturt's Dreaming
-- Sturt's quest to conquer the unknown was doomed and ultimately Europe's attempts for conquering Australia were also doomed (hence, they had to change THEIR perspective of australia because it was not what they expected it to be)
-- Australia was physically and geographically inhospitable and so the explorers had to alter their outlooks on whatever prosperity they expected
-- europeans had to change their perspective BECAUSE they were ignorant of the way australia worked, and especially ignorant of the aboriginal culture

spice girl

magic mirror
I think the BOS's choice of "fractals" is like:

fractals are self-similar. So a fractal serves as an analogy to change: although every change may seem different, there is a pattern to it. Fractals also has a lot to do with chaos theory, which is like we can never truly predict the future (or consequence of change) - this is a response to 18th and 19th century people who thought if they knew all the formulas they can calculate the fate of the world, but with chaos theory it appears that the world, self, or perspective - is "infinite" in "complexity". Aha!

But self-similarity is important - it may not be absolutely predictable, but different types of change are similar in some ways - and this is a good way to justify links between texts, btw

Jellymonsta

with the fractals, you have to remember its out of encarta. that detail is there for a reason. so it would be important to at least mention advances in computers in regards to multimedia and easier methods of learning etc...

Well kaz84 has to link it to Changing perspective...
let's not lose that idea whilst getting carried away in what a fractal means or it's source..

Jellymonsta

yeah ok i missed that perspectives bit.
too much rational talk makes my head hurt. i may explode shortly
lilith covered everything u would need b4 anyway.

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
im not doing that fractals thing... but just wanted to say that Skye High / The Door are meant to be the best texts in the booklet for "changing perspectives"! :rolleyes: stick with those texts if you know them though.

kaz84

THANKYOU

To everyone that helped me i would like to express a big Thankyou!! especially for Mistress Lilith and the excellent info. i know im gonna end up doin sky high but i thought i better know a bit about the others just in case. I'm doin alibrandi so i dont think any of the others relate to it at all especially fractals and sturts dreaming.
ANYWAY, as i was saying THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU!!
Luv ~*Kaz*~ :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Originally posted by eLmo
im not doing that fractals thing... but just wanted to say that Skye High / The Door are meant to be the best texts in the booklet for "changing perspectives"! :rolleyes: stick with those texts if you know them though.
I agree, that's why I'm sticking with Sky High because it goes hand in hand with the points I have for my essay on changing perspective :D

Originally posted by kaz84
To everyone that helped me i would like to express a big Thankyou!! especially for Mistress Lilith and the excellent info. i know im gonna end up doin sky high but i thought i better know a bit about the others just in case.
Hey, that's okay :) Glad I could help
And I know how you feel... I learnt all six of the texts JUST IN CASE, and I'm glad I did too. It gives me room to breathe (even though I know they won't specify)

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
Is it better to use the more unusual texts and be different.

I'm assuming that the writer will get sick of people discussing the same text over and over again. The more a marker reads about a text, the better they know it.

Whereas:
If I used a text not many other people did, I could probably get away with a few 'white lies' or so because the marker's ideas about the stimulus are not as developed.

That's what i'm hoping anyway.

silent bob

late

i know its too late but i didnt come across this topic before. i always thought the fractal thing was more of a "the more things change, the more they stay the same" thing....sorry this is so late

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
this is also late

but if anyone's doing this

if any grubbly little year 11s who have assumed the role and title of year 12 before we're even finished our exams are here

I think that Encarta has changed ppls perspectives of encyclopaedias. Now I don't know if you can remember this, but when I was a kid, once upon a time, encyclopaediuas were big expensive bulky things which gathered dust sitting on a shelf until you had a research assignment to do. And then there's all that crossreferencing around, and you have several books open and it gets annoying after a while. Not to mention trying to trace a picture of a wallaby on tracing paper.

Encarta comes along and suddenly, everyone can have an encyclopaedia in their homes.

I remember having the perspective that "ppft...like i'll ever use an electronic encyclopaedia" I have world book

But then my perspective changed when I saw Mindmaze and all the interactive things in Encarta. Instead of crossreferncing, going all the way back to the bookshelf to grab another volume, everything is done b ya simple click. Even if you had to look up the meaning of a word, all you gotta do is double click on it

Menus and stuff provide easy access to everything in teh encyclopaedia

Searching is easily done. No mroe will on ehave to wonder whether yabbies will be located under "prawns" "crustaceans" or in an entry of their own

Icons- these have become internationally recognised. Everyone now knows what they mean

Although the form has changed, the actual text and some of the graphics are from Funk and Wagnell's encyclopaedia.

that is all.

bubbi

Originally posted by Mistress Lilith
First off, they can't specify things from the stimulus booklet--that's been discussed many times now..
are u sure?

cause my tutor sed dat that they could specify a particular text from stimulus booklet while my school teacher also sed they could but theres 99% chance they wun do dat... cause sum texts are more specific to changing perpsectives or self etc... and those not doing that one would be disadvantaged...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)