Stock Broker (1 Viewer)

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Any Idea on becoming an Stock Broker...Which degree suitable for it..

I was thinking to do Business majoring in Finance..

Is it the right decision..

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Before we go into detail, what aspect of stock broking appeals to you? Are you interested in the sales side or the actual analysis?

UNSW WSC - Scotty

HSC
Take financial products courses (so you know what stocks, bonds, derivatives etc are in detail), investment analysis & portfolip management (self explanatory), few macro econs (so you know terminology and some basic econs) & basic accounting (so you can read financial reports when released).

Commerce/Something Investment related should be fine. Have a chat with your faculties.

More importantly though, you need good sales skills & do your RG 146.

I would get in touch with somebody/firms in the industry. Feel free to go on linkedin, message top directors and ask them for career advice. If they're nice, ask them if you can shout them a coffee to find out more (don't ask for a job, this is only career advice, if they have something and like you they'd offer).

Scotty

p.s. please don't think of stock brokers as Jordan Belforts children. Most aren't like that and movies tend to hype things.

Last edited:

rtj88

HSC
I would get in touch with somebody/firms in the industry. Feel free to go on linkedin, message top directors and ask them for career advice. If they're nice, ask them if you can shout them a coffee to find out more (don't ask for a job, this is only career advice, if they have something and like you they'd offer).
This is something that I am interested in doing. Has anyone had any success cold approaching people on linkedin? Would they even give you the light of the day?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd also be mindful of FOFA and how it's still changing the finance industry for those who are client-facing. It's either go big or go home now.

marlow415

HSC
N/A
Don't become a broker because it's a mostly dead field due to technological evolution, most traders/investors use online brokerages which are automated. Don't get caught up in this facade that movies that are based in the 80s-90s portrayed. Instead, look into analyst jobs or may be proprietary and institutional trading.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)