• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

stop impulse spending (1 Viewer)

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
Leave your bank card at home and only take the money you need with you when you go out.

OS

Banned
HSC
Freeze your bankcard in a large cube of ice in the freezer......... Heard that one suggested by someone else on BOS before.......... A desparate means but you could try it........... You will only bother to smash/melt the ice when you REALLY need the card........

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I have 2 bank accounts. My commonwelath one which I have a card for and my AMP super interest getting account. Pretty much all my money is in my AMP one and I only have about $15 left in my commonwealth one so I can't really buy much with that.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Get rid of the source: dump your girlfriend.

Also, stay away from e-bay, it's EVIL.

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
OS said:
Freeze your bankcard in a large cube of ice in the freezer......... Heard that one suggested by someone else on BOS before.......... A desparate means but you could try it........... You will only bother to smash/melt the ice when you REALLY need the card........
how would you get your bankcard to be in the middle of this icecube, so its harder to get to?
wouldnt it stay at the bottom? therefore, be easier to chip the ice away?

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
think about what your buying ask urself: "do i really need this?" most things you want are not what you need, after buying it feel good but the next day you'll wonder why u really wanted it.

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
i think i need to just have minimum money on my card so i dont spend it on things---and basically i have nothing real to show for my impulse spending

asscookie

dork.
HSC
Most of the time the charges required to use my card are enough to turn me off buying things over the internet (For example, my bank charges $22 to make an international money transfer). I'm not all that great with regular impulse spending, though.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
mmm_sofay said:
how would you get your bankcard to be in the middle of this icecube, so its harder to get to?
wouldnt it stay at the bottom? therefore, be easier to chip the ice away?
freeze half a container of water. Place the card on top. Add more water and freeze again?

doe

HSC
N/A
2 accounts, 1 you get paid into, 1 you have an atm card

transfer over a weekly allowance from the one you get paid into to the one with the atm card.

its hard to impulse spend if you dont have the cash :)

saving is just being able to understand and control your own psychology. its easy to spend. im a savings nazi but i know if i have $50 in my wallet and im at the shops its not going to last long, so i limit the damage i can do

HSC
im like spending 100 bucks a day on jack shit its wierd and bad lol i htink its coz i kept like 5000 in my atm card, 2 months ago...im down to like 3900 now, i should transfer 3000 to my ing account oooo that means more interest

my campus only has one ATM and its not commonwealth....my fe for using non-commonwealth atm's added up to 49 bucks!!!! on my statment i was like wtf shit...and im like withdrwaing 20 bucks from there everyday for food and travel it sucks

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
jumb said:
Also, stay away from e-bay, it's EVIL.

i know :(

just looking at the music/tickets section makes you realise what rip offs there are and how i hate scalpers for splendour in the grass

Abbeygale

HSC
OS said:
Wouldn't it be easier to just destroy the card, or mail it to your great grandparents for safekeeping for a while? Because no matter what you do to the card, you should still have access to your money with this method-
If you don't have your keycard, you should be able to make a manual withdrawal by going to the bank where you opened the account and getting your signture verified- I had to do that for months when my card was stolen in Scotland and there was a holdup in getting a new one. It was a nuisance to get money out, which curbed impulse spending pretty effectively.

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
Sarah168 said:
freeze half a container of water. Place the card on top. Add more water and freeze again?
and then go shopping and spend all you money while your waiting for the first half of the water to freeze.

rumour

HSC
Burn your keycard!!!!!!!!!!
EDIT:
I have the same problem with shopping:(

Have you thought about getting your travel/food money for the whole week, out all on one day?

Last edited:

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
i think im the most responsible shopepr i know
i dont buy too much shit
i dont deprive myself from stuff
i save a fair amount of money
and i spend as much as i should
something i always do every week..
which is gay but works for me
say i get paid $266
i withdraw $66 and leave 200 in my account
thats $66 is all i can spend for the week
then the next week i get paid and my account is like $453
i take out $53 and thats all i cna spend for the week
usually its more then enough so i have left over money and that cash becomes spending moeny on whatever i wnat
so far using this method..i have saved $1500...works for me..
its all about rounding off your account to an even number

but if in your account its like $499..i dont take 99 out...i take like 49 out so it leaves me with $450
etc so on and so forth.. thats my story..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)