Strats for short answers? (1 Viewer)

podwkd

HSC
If an extract is too long to read, like 3 whole pages, would the strategy be just skim through it and discuss any figurative language I've found in it, or do I actually have to spend minutes reading through it and fully understanding the text?

How do people even answer unseen questions like this tbh I don't get it at all. By the last question, it sometimes felt like reading a shakespearian play and expecting to know all the themes within it.

dunkie

HSC
bruh ikrr, if any english short answer whizzes here could share some advice or tips it would be greatly appreciated :)

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't like reading entire extracts, so what I do is first unpack and understand the qn and actively search out quotes that seem to match the qn or can be linked to it through themes, only after which I start with 1-2 basic ideas (based on how many marks are allocated). Also look at the marks allocated, which gives you an idea of how many ideas and how many quotes you need.

don't overthink the question, and keep your ideas simple and straight to the point. I remember in a y12 exemplar from someone who got full marks in the trial asked how a page long extract depicted winter in a certain place (3 marker). The topic sentence highlighting the overarching idea for the qn was simply the poem does [qn] by showing what you can do in winter

dunkie

HSC
I remember in a y12 exemplar from someone who got full marks in the trial asked how a page long extract depicted winter in a certain place (3 marker). The topic sentence highlighting the overarching idea for the qn was simply the poem does [qn] by showing what you can do in winter
Oh, I thought something like that would be considered vague. Do you have to include rubric terminology in your topic sentence?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)