Stressed! Ancient or Ex Eng? (1 Viewer)

iyamahobbit

Resident hobbit
HSC
Hey,
I've been stressing every night, because i'm currenlty on 12 units, and i'm finding i can't really keep up. So i've decided to drop either Ancient History or Ex 1 English... but i don't know which!

What would you advise?

My school goes well in ancient, and our history teacher's pretty much guaranteed us over 90 if we don't bludge and don't stuff up majorly. On the other hand, i think it'd be a really big ask for me to get over 95.
>> So I'd say my Ancient mark range should probably be anything from 90-95 - give or take a few marks.

On the other hand, my school doesn't go so well in english ex - probably about 30% over 90. I haven't done much of the coures (school's a bit slow), so i don't have a good feel for it, but my tutor says my writing (in general) is good, and that i should definately hang on to it. He also says he's not tutored anyone in Ex Eng who got under 45/50 for it. (Though whether i'd be an exception remains to be seen.)
>> Given my marks, i'd say my eng mark range could be anything from 85-92% - though i have trouble seeing myself achieving in the top band. Still, just got a tutor, and that seems to be making a big diff already.

In terms of workload, i've heard Ex Eng is heaps, but i've come to the conclusion that it's probably around the same as ancient, if not less. What do you think about this?

I've also worked out that Eng scaling is better than Ancient scaling.

On the other hand - i really see Ancient as pointless, and i'm really beginning to hate it.
I think i'd prefer english, but i take a long time to write essays at the moment, and i'm not sure if i can keep it up at a good level.

Sooo... advice? Pleeeeeease? :confused:

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
yah, personally? id go with ext eng. that choice was primarily based on the scaling bonus if you are likely to band 6 either. my friend in 03 got 97 ancient and it still got a low contribution to his UAI. but then again its ur call. IMHO english is 100x more interesting than ancient, but hehe, who listens to me?

santaslayer

HSC
if u are likely to get top bands in both subz then i would choose ext english.....if not, then choose the sub u r likely to go better in

Toby

hmm..
I'd keep both... as in, it's only an extra unit
Free periods arent very productive either...
And if you find it's too much work... just concentrate on 1... (and try and complete assessments) cuz the timetable in trial/hsc can either be a hinder or a real helper

As in, ext english (usually near the last exam) you might have a few days/1 week to cram it all in :)

Then again, I dont know what your other subjects are, and timetables can change

From experience, I'm thankful i didnt drop eco cuz i had a few weeks to cram it all in :) And managed a decent band 6

But it's up to you

edit: oops, its ancient history, not extension... that's 2 units, so i dunno (+lower scaling) My advice still is to keep 12 :)

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
English Extension 1 doesn't require nearly as much work as Ancient History.

You have two writing tasks in the exam (one of which should be creative). That's it.

Also keep in mind that dropping AH will leave you with only 10 units... whereas dropping EE1 gives you 11.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
id prefer english Ex....as its scaled better even if u dont get an E4....and y cudnt u be in top 30% in ur school in eng ex 1?? try ur best and ud kill it!

like in my school in maths ext 1.....i was getting around 70% average and the person coming 1st was getting like 85-90%+...n i was like....my rank/ marks cud stuff me up...instead i ended up getting one mark less than the person ranked 1st ...so yeah in the end it wudnt really matter even if u get an E3 with a 44/50....ur doing well...!

Teleph

Look mum i'm a Starrrr
HSC
LOL I had the same problem deciding whether to drop AH or eng ext1. MY school is hardcore male selective which means our eng sucks ! Still I ranked 3rd out of 70 for eng ext in yr 11 and like 10/15 for AH but AH in my school is extremely good and teacher almost gurantee me a 90+ but I thought about it and decided to lose my work load and do eng ext since its super bluge and i'm good at making up stuff :)

I'm very happy with my decision now since I luv every period of my Eng ext and I heard from my friend that they need to read like 5 books for AH :p

iyamahobbit

Resident hobbit
HSC
Hey,
thanks a lot for all the replies, i really appreciate them, and yes, i have read them all - even tho i didn't reply earlier :)

In the end (well, this lunchtime if you want to know) i dropped extension english.

In terms of free periods - i actually work really well in them, particularly when they come in blocs, which is exactly what i've got with dropping english - i get the whole of friday arvo off, so i'll be using one of the seminar rooms in the library to get some serious stuff done.

Scaling and work thought out - i guess i figured that Ex eng was about the same in terms of workload as ancient, from what past students and teachers had said. I figured that ancient was a "safe" subject, while english was more risky - i reckon that potentially you can score better with less work - but then i guess you can also bomb out, to a certain extent, when it comes to the final exam.

So ya, i wanted to be safe, so i went with ancient. Thanks for all the (mainly pro english) advice all the same. :)

snot

wow that even seemed to help me. um just a question seem so you all seemed to answer that so well..im doing thirteen units and im really not sure if i should drop any or stick with what ive got. i will either drop bussiness or legal. im performing exactly the same in each subject. mt other subjects are...

4 UNIT ENGLISH
2 UNIT MATHS
2 UNIT ANCIENT HISTORY
1 UNIT HISTORY EXT
2 UNIT BUSSINESS
2 UNIT LEGAL
13 UNITS
ANY IDEAS OR DOES THIS SOUND TO RISKY

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)