stressed, distressed, depressed! (1 Viewer)

bmwz4

HSC
i do 12 units, maths is my backup but i still want to do well,for my first assessment i got 70% it was worth 15%, for my half yearly i had many exams and another exam the same day and i studied more for the other subject and i ended up with a mark of 21/44 46% and its worth 20%...i know it sucks and its so depressing...i have never failed a maths test over these 2 years...will this mark screw up my hsc if maths is counted for me? I feel bad for neglecting it and not trying hard enough

please post some advice on how i can improve :( Thanks

williamc

HSC
bmwz4 said:
i do 12 units, maths is my backup but i still want to do well,for my first assessment i got 70% it was worth 15%, for my half yearly i had many exams and another exam the same day and i studied more for the other subject and i ended up with a mark of 21/44 46% and its worth 20%...i know it sucks and its so depressing...i have never failed a maths test over these 2 years...will this mark screw up my hsc if maths is counted for me? I feel bad for neglecting it and not trying hard enough

please post some advice on how i can improve :( Thanks
LOL im in the same boat. Got 80% (24/80 rank) in 2nd assessment but for the half yearly i think for the first time in my life i may fail maths.. Although, the exam was bloody hard and a mark of 50% will prob. rank me higher than 24th seeing as though the questions were like ridiculous for 2 unit.

Point being as long as your rank didn't suffer greatly as a result your still ok, how did you go comparably. What is your rank?

A mark of above 95 may be out of the window though, but through hard work and pratice you can pull your marks (and rank) back up and still get a good result..

Last edited:

ellen.louise

HSC
Two things:
1)what level of maths are you doing;
2) are you depressed or are you cut at your mark. Never throw around terms like that lightly. Depression is long lasting and you don't feel it so much as experience it. I've been there with some of my friends.

If you feel like you did badly, the best thing you can do to imrove on it is not to dwell on the mistake, but learn from it.
I suggest:
1) go over the test, and redo all of the questions you got wrong, or even partially wrong. And I mean ALL of them. Think of it as maths homework that needs to be done.
2) target your biggest problem areas (the type of question you got the most wrong) and do heaps and heaps of practice.
3) Revise more thouroughly next time. go through every kind of question in your text book, and pick the harder ones to try.
4) don't work too much to correct your mistakes though. Don't end up spending too much time on it so that it detracts from your other subjects.

Like you said, maths is your backup. But you shouldn't think of it that way because if you put equal effort into it it could count and score you a better UAI.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
If your ranks are fine, then maintain it, if they are not, then put a bit more effort into it as well as your other subejcts, to try to ensure that maths won't count, but it is preferable to try and do alright in maths rather than fail it.

ellen.louise

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
If your ranks are fine, then maintain it, if they are not, then put a bit more effort into it as well as your other subejcts, to try to ensure that maths won't count, but it is preferable to try and do alright in maths rather than fail it.
So true. If failing maths makes you feel shit you should make sure it doesn't happen again.

bmwz4

HSC
ellen.louise said:
Two things:
1)what level of maths are you doing;
2) are you depressed or are you cut at your mark. Never throw around terms like that lightly. Depression is long lasting and you don't feel it so much as experience it. I've been there with some of my friends.

If you feel like you did badly, the best thing you can do to imrove on it is not to dwell on the mistake, but learn from it.
I suggest:
1) go over the test, and redo all of the questions you got wrong, or even partially wrong. And I mean ALL of them. Think of it as maths homework that needs to be done.
2) target your biggest problem areas (the type of question you got the most wrong) and do heaps and heaps of practice.
3) Revise more thouroughly next time. go through every kind of question in your text book, and pick the harder ones to try.
4) don't work too much to correct your mistakes though. Don't end up spending too much time on it so that it detracts from your other subjects.

Like you said, maths is your backup. But you shouldn't think of it that way because if you put equal effort into it it could count and score you a better UAI.
2 unit....and i dont know my rank yet...but ill tell u when i get my report...im depressed because i havent failed a maths exam and was hoping for 80+...anyhoo a lot of ppl didnt do that well...ill post my rank soon, cheers.

HSC
hmm, i see ur aiming for a uai of 95+
if u got a good rank, THEN DONT WORRI!
marks dont realli matter, onli rank, why?
because a person who does a james ruse test, and gets 49% and comes last, doenst mean he is dumb
where as if a person going to a public school got 90% and came 1st doenst mean they r smat
it just means that the person going to james ruse got a MUCH harder test
the person who got 90 in the public school doesnt mean they will get get 90 in a james ruse test!!!!!
when the hsc ppl r scaling/givin ur mark, they take this into account, and look at ur rank
ur MARK on the otha hand matters onli if u were "sick" and couldnt turn up for the hsc test......buh then again....no matter how sick u r, i think u will turn u -_-
this is true as inno a lot of ppl who failed most of their james ruse 2u maths test and ended up with a 98+ uai due to their RANK!
so dun worri:)

milton

HSC
in maths, its not really the raw mark that matters, but rather the RANK. (and how good your school is).
in 4u maths, getting over 50% as a raw mark in the test is considered already really good. a mark of 70/120 in our trial was moderated as 93% as the hsc mark which is then scaled to 96.5% for calculation in the UAI. a mark of at least 110/120 in a 2u exam would be needed to achieve that level

bmwz4

HSC
sanjeevprasad99 said:
hmm, i see ur aiming for a uai of 95+
if u got a good rank, THEN DONT WORRI!
marks dont realli matter, onli rank, why?
because a person who does a james ruse test, and gets 49% and comes last, doenst mean he is dumb
where as if a person going to a public school got 90% and came 1st doenst mean they r smat
it just means that the person going to james ruse got a MUCH harder test
the person who got 90 in the public school doesnt mean they will get get 90 in a james ruse test!!!!!
when the hsc ppl r scaling/givin ur mark, they take this into account, and look at ur rank
ur MARK on the otha hand matters onli if u were "sick" and couldnt turn up for the hsc test......buh then again....no matter how sick u r, i think u will turn u -_-
this is true as inno a lot of ppl who failed most of their james ruse 2u maths test and ended up with a 98+ uai due to their RANK!
so dun worri:)
i dont go to james ruse though...i got to a public school lol....yes thankyou i get wat you mean :D

ellen.louise

HSC
bmwz4 said:
2 unit....and i dont know my rank yet...but ill tell u when i get my report...im depressed because i havent failed a maths exam and was hoping for 80+...anyhoo a lot of ppl didnt do that well...ill post my rank soon, cheers.
again, are you actually depressed, or just... upset? Cause school is not the end of your life.:)

bmwz4

HSC
ellen.louise said:
again, are you actually depressed, or just... upset? Cause school is not the end of your life.:)
i was being melodramatic..im upset

2ndbest

Erratic Member
HSC
I find the only way to do well in maths is to do a shit load of continous work. Its not too late, but I think you should be doing lets say a minimum of 45mins a night of excercises of the topic you covered that day in maths, that way you can attack any exam really well because you know what to do for each question without thinking too hard about it.

This is form my past experience, yr.9 I did shit all work and didn't do well at all, yr.10 I just did everything my teacher set for me, nothing more, and did brilliantly in the SC. Yr.11 I figured that same strategy would work for 3u, it didn't and I droped it so fast. And now in 2u I do a bit of extrz work from other text books and I am coming 1st.

So I figure, nothing substitutes the hard yards when it comes to maths.

If putting in the extra effort means it will show in the marks of your other subjects then just don't risk it, make sure maths is the subject that doesn't count.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)