Stressing hard about future atar math mark. (1 Viewer)

buffdude68

HSC
N/A
I do Math ST2, and the last two assessments, I scored an average of 63 due to me just being lazy.
Even if I get 100 and a 90 in the next two assessments, I can't even get an average of 80. I'm literally so worried about that, I know I can perform well if I put in the work but my future for math st2 is kind of looking dim, I genuinely believe I will get a 90 for externals but for internals, I can't even get an 80. How much will my internals affect my atar?
Im literalllllly stressing so hard

Zackeroo

HSC
I do Maths ST2 as well and am also in a similar situation... Except, my marks are around the 80% mark atm for my internals and I really need to perform better in my internals. I know you probably have been thinking that ST2 will pull your entire ATAR down, and that you should have done advanced :) (I've been always thinking this).

About your question: Remember that the internals are 50% and the externals are worth 50%, which basically means that if you do good on your externals it should push up your complete mark for the ATAR

idkkdi

HSC
I do Math ST2, and the last two assessments, I scored an average of 63 due to me just being lazy.
Even if I get 100 and a 90 in the next two assessments, I can't even get an average of 80. I'm literally so worried about that, I know I can perform well if I put in the work but my future for math st2 is kind of looking dim, I genuinely believe I will get a 90 for externals but for internals, I can't even get an 80. How much will my internals affect my atar?
Im literalllllly stressing so hard
Interested in why you genuinely believe you will get a 90 for externals when you're averaging 63.

@Velocifire, you're actually trolling bro. I'm bringing up a valid question.

Last edited:

studiesofboard

HSC
If you know you can perform well just keep trying your best and smash through past papers and study study study and you will be able to do well :)

buffdude68

HSC
N/A
Interested in why you genuinely believe you will get a 90 for externals when you're averaging 63.

@Velocifire, you're actually trolling bro. I'm bringing up a valid question.
Because the recent test I did, I literally did in 10 minutes.
It was a doc file test, and I pressed back space so it removed all the answered and I had to do it again speeding through it without checking it. Yes, I complained to the teacher but I had already submitted right at the very end of the test and if I ask to resit the exam they wouldn't let me due to the fact that I'm not able to prove that the answers had disappeared right at the end of the test.
Also, I'm averaging a 93 in Physics so I know if I put the work in I'm able to achieve a 90 easily.
And for the first test, I was actually in advanced but I messed up the first test and couldn't be bothered for the learn the rest of the syllabus and just dropped down and it was translated into a 60.

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
I put sadness because he can do it, there his is still time for him to improve his marks, big-time. It may be disheartening to realise those results, but it is more than possible for anyone. There was more to his story, and I was right.

I wouldn't want to be crying in a corner due to getting bad marks and then someone like you coming in, "super-glueing" me to it, thinking that it is all over.

I see, also isn't 2u maths highly recommended with Physics, but more importantly I am glad to see you doing well in Physics.

Last edited:

buffdude68

HSC
N/A
No, you are more the troll, I put sadness because he can do it, there his is still time for him to improve his marks, big-time. It may be a longshot, but it is more than possible if he actually tries. There was more to his story, and I was right.

I wouldn't want to be crying in a corner due to getting bad marks and then someone like you coming in, "super-glueing" me to it, thinking that it is all over.

I see, also isn't 2u maths highly recommended with Physics, but more importantly I am glad to see you doing well in Physics.
I did advanced maths, and I did well in the prelim course so I have all the basics required to help with physics. It's just I'd rather not focus on two big math heavy subjects as math clearly isn't my thing.

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
I see. Great to see your physics is working out really well!

buffdude68

HSC
N/A
I see. Great to see your physics is working out really well!
If I get 75 internals and a 90 externals, would they just average it or would they consider the externals more? because it's vastly different

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
If I get 75 internals and a 90 externals, would they just average it or would they consider the externals more? because it's vastly different
It is always averaged.

idkkdi

HSC
I put sadness because he can do it, there his is still time for him to improve his marks, big-time. It may be disheartening to realise those results, but it is more than possible for anyone. There was more to his story, and I was right.

"There was more to his story" - this was exactly why I brought up the question, bruh.
50/50 split, no weighting more. Also, internals is based off your rank, not your actual internal mark. As long as you rank high, your internal mark is basically irrelevant. Also, you might want to look into whether your school giving you a 60 estimation for standard was fair. Because maths advanced aligns much? better than standard and is harder.

buffdude68

HSC
N/A
"There was more to his story" - this was exactly why I brought up the question, bruh.

50/50 split, no weighting more. Also, internals is based off your rank, not your actual internal mark. As long as you rank high, your internal mark is basically irrelevant. Also, you might want to look into whether your school giving you a 60 estimation for standard was fair. Because maths advanced aligns much? better than standard and is harder.
How is the internal mark basically irrelevant? If I score an 80 and rank 10th what will happen?

idkkdi

HSC
How is the internal mark basically irrelevant? If I score an 80 and rank 10th what will happen?
Basically the internal mark is a moderated mark based on your internal RANK. A simplified way of saying this is, take your rank e.g. 10th. Take your school's individual student marks in the external exams, match it up to rank 10, and that is the INTERNAL MARK that YOU get. The process of matching it up, i.e. moderation, is slightly more complicated, but that's the gist of it.

They do this because an 80 in in-school tasks in standard math at a rank 500 school is way easier than an 80 in a top 20 selective school due to the comparative difficulty of tasks.

buffdude68

HSC
N/A
Basically the internal mark is a moderated mark based on your internal RANK. A simplified way of saying this is, take your rank e.g. 10th. Take your school's individual student marks in the external exams, match it up to rank 10, and that is the INTERNAL MARK that YOU get. The process of matching it up, i.e. moderation, is slightly more complicated, but that's the gist of it.

They do this because an 80 in in-school tasks in standard math at a rank 500 school is way easier than an 80 in a top 20 selective school due to the comparative difficulty of tasks.
So, If I get 5th in the internals but shit in the externals, my internal mark will be matched up to the 5th rank?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)