STRESSING! Please help if possible! (1 Viewer)

darkling_lady

HSC
Hey all! My proposal is due tomorrow (STRESS!) So if any of you read this tonight... (lol) what do you think of this topic???

"How does the existence of the institution ‘The Quarantine Station’ reflect the history of Australia since the colonisation by Europeans?"

Thanks everyone!

~~Darkling Lady~~

hello99999

HSC
you have to make sure you discuss historiographical issues, not just history. it sounds like an interesting and original topic anyway.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
I agree with hello.

Its too late now, but your proposal isn't dealing with historiographical issues. If you were asking about how historians perspectives on the quarantine institution have differed or altered thus replicating or potraying australian history since European colonisation then you would have a historiographically based question.

Remember, History Extension isn't about history. Its about historiography - the historians, their ideas, their views and more importantly, how their context effects our history.

darkling_lady

HSC
Cool Thanks! I ended up changing it to:

The history of the Quarantine Station compared with the greater history of Australia, focussing on the political, social and economic aspects of society that are brought out in the history of ‘The Quarantine Station’ from 1837-1984.

Dya reckon that's ok??

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
That isn't really a question is it?

There are a few problems with it. 1) it isn't a question. 2) you repeat yourself "The history of the Quarantine Station..... The history of the quarantine station." that isn't necessary.

I'm presuming that The Quarantine Station is a book, in which case the question should be re-worded to:

"How does the history portrayed in 'The Quarantine Station' compare with the greater history of Australia in terms of the book's political, social and economic aspects of society?"

Remember, the History Project is internally marked, so ultimatley, what matters is your teachers opinion of how the question should be re-worded not anyone elses.

Abbeygale

HSC
Isn't the quarantine station a building in Sydney?

According to the quarantine station website- 'For 140 years the Quarantine Station was used to house newly arrived immigrants and for this reason it is an important part of the history of Australia. Gradually buildings were added to the complex and these buildings reflect the beliefs and practices of the times in which they were built.'

kirabolton

HSC
ok ok i'm really sorry but i agree with everyone else. It's an original topic but i can't see how it's dealing with historians? Have you found any contrasting opinions? Because frankly i mean i don't really know much about it , but how could opinions differ that much on the quarantine station? and will information be hard to find?

ptitsa

make me lose my buttons
HSC
It's pleasing to see someone doing something original for their major work.
Is this Quarantine Station out at North Head (i think that's where it is)? I went on a ghost tour there at night..very fascinating place, and lots of freaky events have supposedly occurred there, hehe.

However, regarding your question, I echo everyone elses' sentiments - where's the historiography? I think you would be better off focussing on the actual events that occurred within the station, linking it to the immigration policy of the time. I'd imagine conditions within the station would have been rancid, and the treatment of immigrants, questionable. Maybe something along that social line of history would procure greater historical debate. Don't take my word on all this though. After all, I really don't remember much of the tour from when I went there (if indeed it is even the same place, hahah).

Good luck nonetheless.

darkling_lady

HSC
Hey, soz, my question actually ended up being (Oops, i pasted the wrong thing in before! Sorry, sorry sorry!):

"What does the existence and the history of the institution the Quarantine Station tell us about the social, political and economic history of Australia since the colonisation by Europeans?
What are the differing views of Historians over time, due to the changing attitudes and the improved knowledge and treatment of infectious diseases in society?"

Yeah, i also went on a ghost tour there, and it was really interesting.
I'm having issues with my topic now, though. Because I'm an ancient history student, I hate modern topics and Australian history! I thought I'd be ok with doing the Quarantine Station, but the topic seemed to end up having more to do with Australian history than I'd anticipated!

darkling_lady

HSC
Btw, (Soz, i forgot to say this in my last post) Thanks SO much everyone for your continual help! You've been great! :D

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Oh so it was a book! Great.... sorry for the confusion guys!

darkling_lady

HSC
The Quarantine Station is an institution at North Head in Sydney which was used in the period between 1837 and 1984 to mainly Quarantine boats of immigrants to Australia who could be carrying fatal and contagious diseases. It was also used during the major plagues to Quarantine Sydney-siders who contracted diseases.
:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)