Student Assessment Modeller 2005 (1 Viewer)

A l

HSC
N/A
I'm just wondering how the progress is going and what can we expect.

I would also like to know how the course loading for English Standard/Advanced was calculated in the following table: (and when the 2004 column would come out)
http://www.boredofstudies.org/scaledmeans.php

Last edited:

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
I feel like a seventh day adventist whos apocolypse never came. Oh well, getting a new SAM now would be detrimental to my study routine ie- distraction.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
It will eventually be done... I have to choose between doing work for which I get paid (i.e. my real job) and doing work for free... and I've just moved out so you can guess which one wins.

Sorry guys. Eventually.

A l

HSC
N/A
jm1234567890 said:
it is just the mean of all the scaled marks in the state.

advanced/standard are scaled together so there is one scaled mean.
I meant to say how the actual figure was it calculated using given data to the media. Obviously, non-Board of Studies and UAC members do not have access to all scaled marks in the state. According to the 2003 Table A3, the scaled mean in English (Standard) was 18.3 and the scaled mean in English (Advanced) was 32.2. How was the scaled mean calculated from there? Or were there other resources to get that combined scaled mean?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
A l said:
I meant to say how the actual figure was it calculated using given data to the media. Obviously, non-Board of Studies and UAC members do not have access to all scaled marks in the state. According to the 2003 Table A3, the scaled mean in English (Standard) was 18.3 and the scaled mean in English (Advanced) was 32.2. How was the scaled mean calculated from there? Or were there other resources to get that combined scaled mean?
you are also given the candidature for each. I believe laz would have used that plus the individual scaled means to obtain the combined scaled mean.

You can give it a try using the candidature and see if you get the same as laz. I can't be bothered to try it, too late for maths :p

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
A l said:
At least tell me how the scaled mean was calculated in the English Standard/Advanced course loading in the following http://www.boredofstudies.org/scaledmeans.php
Mmm... I calculated that a while ago.

It can be done in a number of different ways (each yielding similar, but not identical, results).

I believe I worked from this formula:

scaled max = scaled mean + (2.52 * initial scaled sd)

For the combined English candidature, the maximum scaled mark is set at 50. The formula then becomes a very simple linear equation involving only two variables (i.e. a straight line):

50 = sm + (2.52 * ssd)

Plotting that line or generating a table of values for that line produces multiple pairs of numbers (sm, ssd) which satisfy the equation.

I used other statistical methods to estimate sm and ssd independently of each other and then chose the pair from the table of values which was closest to the figures predicted by those other methods.

For your own reference, the pair I chose was sm = 23.4, ssd = 10.6.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)