• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Student Poverty Week (2 Viewers)

yourdad

HSC
N/A
UWA did student poverty week and gave out free soup. What a fucking crock, a bunch of rich kids carrying around laptops and wearing the latest designer gear bitching about poverty. Plus, the soup isn't really free because you gotta pay $100 for guild fees and as of yet it's the only thing I got out of it.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I agree.

I'm currently doing research on the issue, and it is an issue, not people just whinging.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
What the hell? Do you know how many students ACTUALLY fit your gucci-wearing laptop-toting stereotype? As opposed to how many DON'T?

Do you even GO to UWA? Some of the people here have to travel literally 1/3 of AUSTRALIA to study their course (like Med students from Broome) and that is NOT cheap. As for the guild fees ($60 per semester, HELL CHEAP by national standards) that doesn't even come CLOSE to covering the expenses of the guild in terms of legal, housing and employment services (not to mention the eateries, which are of a pretty good standard).

Before you go shooting your mouth off about something you don't know, get yourself clued in.

Last edited:

yourdad

HSC
N/A
Why don't you go to a law class and see if you can borrow a spare laptop from someone?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I actually have a number of friends in law here, and I'll grant you that there are a number of very well-off law students. However, to think that these people are an indicative sample of the entire student body is sinfully misguided. Not all students have parents sufficiently affluent to send their children to private schools (almost the only way to score well enough for Law in WA), nor the minimal contact hours that law students enjoy, allowing them to take those excellently-paying part time jobs with the big firms.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Even if they are poor, it's their choice Lexi, while they are inconvenienced, they have obviously assessed the situation and decided they're willing to put up with it for their degree.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Even if they are poor, it's their choice Lexi, while they are inconvenienced, they have obviously assessed the situation and decided they're willing to put up with it for their degree.
Are you kidding me? Certainly students make the choice to live with hardship, but the universal right to education (which, in Australia, we all have) demands that we are able to pursue education without having to suffer poverty.

Students most certainly have been experiencing hardship for centuries - but that is no justification for making things worse than they have to be. Saying that students "choose" poverty is absolute bullshit.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well if you see education as some sort of universal right, I guess so ( I personally disagree ).
But if you don't (like me), it's no difference to someone going out and spending way too much on an expensive car then whinging.

yourdad

HSC
N/A
I think it's a bit unrealistic to call education a 'right', really it is just an investment like any other. That's my view anyway, but I tend to think of everything in dollar terms.

doe

HSC
N/A
affordable education is one of the cornerstones of democracy/our society. be wary of it being taken away.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Do people who fail their HSC (as in *) also have a right to university education?

Generator

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Do people who fail their HSC (as in *) also have a right to university education?
Stop being such an idiot, calculon. You know that he meant that it's a 'right' that should be made available purely (or least mostly, in the eyes of some) on ability. Edit: We all have the 'right' to the opportunity, yet it's up to the individual to grasp what is available (with certain safeguards in place for those who are disadvantaged).

Last edited:

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
I agree everyone has the right to acquire knowledge...there other avenues for ppl with lower UAIs (than whats required), if they wish to pursue further education, thats how it should be...(e.g SIBT for entry into MQ Uni, TAFE etc)...

Essentially my point is:
UAI is good in a sense to intially decide who goes to uni or not straightaway, but people who dont make the cut offs should not b prohibited from university totally, they can prove they will be able to handle university study at other institutions...

yourdad

HSC
N/A
Ok then people if you want to go all academic on me, what's your opinion on this:

2 people want to do a course, one person is really interested in it but can't get the grades to get in, the other will clearly get in but is going in for the so-called 'wrong' reasons eg money/prestige/didn't pass UMAT.
Assume both will have a reasonable chance of actually finishing the course once they are in. Who has MORE of a right to the course?

doe

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
You're like a politician doll, pull ur cord and see what random nonsense u spit out lol
you're right, i spend all my time thinking up wacky nonsense to post on bos.

i look forward to a society based on keeping people ignorant and education for the rich only.

if you want to discuss my opinion, try and do a little better than "random nonsense".

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
doe said:
you're right, i spend all my time thinking up wacky nonsense to post on bos.

i look forward to a society based on keeping people ignorant and education for the rich only.

if you want to discuss my opinion, try and do a little better than "random nonsense".
"Education is the cornerstone of our Democracy!!!" such a HSC answer.

What is "Affordable", affordable to everyone... or affordable to the majority? Is it affordable when people can afford it but have to make sacrafices?

Of course everyone would like to see "FREE EDUCATION FOR EVERYONE!!!" but beyond that, you have to ask "how? what will we sacrafice for that? etc."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)