• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Student Poverty Week (1 Viewer)

doe

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
"Education is the cornerstone of our Democracy!!!" such a HSC answer.

What is "Affordable", affordable to everyone... or affordable to the majority? Is it affordable when people can afford it but have to make sacrafices?

Of course everyone would like to see "FREE EDUCATION FOR EVERYONE!!!" but beyond that, you have to ask "how? what will we sacrafice for that? etc."
ok, it may be an hsc style thing, but thats not where i get it from. people have been saying it for hundreds of years.

by affordable, it should be available to everyone given reasonable sacrifices. people shouldnt be forced to live below the poverty line and accumulate tens of thousands of dollars of debt to go to university. otherwise, people just wont go, which is bad for our society, as it breeds ignorance, anger and mistrust.

in the job market, you can pretty much draw a line dividing the available jobs. above the line, there are jobs for people with degrees, below the line, there are jobs for people without degrees. if you dont get a degree, and you dont get a trade, in general, you're going to spend your life doing menial labour. its just how it is. if you disagree, please go and get a whitecollar job without a degree, then come back and talk to me.

im not a bleeding heart lefty either. i used to be ambivalent towards the whole thing, but over the years ive seen people far smarter than 99% of the people i graduated with floundering in shit jobs, simply because they dont have a degree. they dont have a degree because they come working class/poor backgrounds. if they were born into a different family they would have gone to uni. no question.

the cost of university education is increasing. public schools dont get enough funding, while private schools get more. the federal government consistently advertises a budget surplus, so dont tell me theres not enough money.

btw, while everyone has been harping on about corby, federal mp's got a payrise, they now make $111k. if you didnt hear about it, its because it was announced the same day as corby's verdict ... ignorance is bliss eh :)

doe

HSC
N/A
at least now they can afford to sign up to weight watchers

hello beazely and vandstone.

its a good point though. john howard could be making a crapload more in the private sector.

it was sen. bob brown who pointed out the payrise

Last edited:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
My friends and I are thinking of starting a campaign.

The campaign is called "Bring back Gough"

We want uni to be like it was in the good old days.... free... with great campus life.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
doe said:
in the job market, you can pretty much draw a line dividing the available jobs. above the line, there are jobs for people with degrees, below the line, there are jobs for people without degrees. if you dont get a degree, and you dont get a trade, in general, you're going to spend your life doing menial labour. its just how it is. if you disagree, please go and get a whitecollar job without a degree, then come back and talk to me.
My Dad dropped out of teaching college and now he's on well over 100K.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
My friends and I are thinking of starting a campaign.

The campaign is called "Bring back Gough"

We want uni to be like it was in the good old days.... free... with great campus life.
Don't forget that Labor were also the ones who abolished free education.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
Yeah but it wasn't Gough....

Plus, it was the libs that made it so damn expensive.
Is education really that expensive considering the accumulative benefits associated with it over the remainder of your life? Edcuation is still massively subsidised so I really don't see what you have to whinge about. Why should the government give me a free education when I am the one recieving the linked benefits?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Don't be so serious.... do you think I am being deadly serious when I am advocating bringing back Gough Whitlam?

yourdad

HSC
N/A
well that may be fine the ladies but what are us poor blokes meant to do?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
That story is so old, there was a story more provacatively titled "sex for hecs" in the SMH last year.

May I just say what a crap news story that is..... where is the current news? Where is the story? We have heard that all before... it had no currency!

Must have been a slow news day....

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I like it how people try to turn such stories around to represent inequalities between the sexes.

yourdad

HSC
N/A
geez guys just a joke don't get all sensitive

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)