• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Student Teachers pay??? (1 Viewer)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Apollo34 said:
Dude! Are you serious? And theyre complaining about pay!
Casuals get no benefits; nor do they have a very stable income as a casual teacher. Ergo, permanent > casual. Pay also isn't completely standardised across sectors - I think private schools might pay more than public schools and TAFE teachers certainly recieve far less than either.

Edward Teach

Blackbeard!
HSC
N/A
kami said:
Casuals get no benefits; nor do they have a very stable income as a casual teacher. Ergo, permanent > casual. Pay also isn't completely standardised across sectors - I think private schools might pay more than public schools and TAFE teachers certainly recieve far less than either.
Will start at 76k at some private schools by 2010

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Edward Teach said:
Yeah... but it's not like yr gonna get hired full time by a private school straight out of uni lol
but ill have teaching experience?...

HSC
If my experience with LOTE teachers is any indication, there isn't a shortage of teachers, more a shortage of positions.

My Japanese teacher was really sought after and had a habit of taking other jobs for about half of every year she taught my class. The deal was that if she left she had to find an adequate replacement which she always did.

Anyway the point is, her replacements always talked about how hard it was to get a permanent position. One of them even taught geography (qualified as both HSIE and LOTE) for a while before taking this position up.

HSC
With LOTE as well, some languages are much more sought after than others. I can't give any specific to NSW, but in WA Indonesian, Japanese and German are really sought after, while there is a general oversupply of Italian teachers.

sladehk

le random
HSC
dam i shoulda been a language teacher. i heard theres a massive shortage

rozymisty

HSC
You are going to get paid more if you are prepared to go out bush/non metro. I did 3 yrs of primary teaching degree at uni and hated it, there is sooo much work and shit involved outside of the sschool hours, especially marking papers and doing reports, and then parent teacher interviews.

They do not get paid enough considering all thsoe outside after hrs work, and the stress that they have to endure with pain in the arse kids, who cant blodody well behave and affect other students education. Thats why i quit, they are just too much to handle with just 1 teacher to control 30kids, unless you are lucky enough to have a composite class.

It is very hard to get a job in teh cities, as more pple naturally want them. You are better off to go out and start in the bush. I know in Qld that if you are prepared to go out bush etc away from the coast, you get more points and stuff and that helps big time for when you want to transfer to a city location. Of course if your on your final prac and the principal wants you, then thats good.

My mum is a prep teacher at a catholic school and certainly doesnt earn $50K. I dont know how much exactly but when i told her that by the end of 2008, Qld health will pay nurses $53K and mum said that is no where near as much as she gets teaching.

As a studnet nurse though i can work as a assistant nurse and get paid good money for agency work, and that looks better on a resume than say fast food, etc.
As a student teacher, get a job at the after school care centre at the school you want to get a job at, it helps your chances, as you will know mre about the school etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)