• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Students quit over anti-American slurs (2 Viewers)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Is there a disabilities room for people with disabilities?
Uh yeah, the Queer space. Dumbass. I actually had something rather amusing to say, but I forgot what it was :(. Curse you Crown Lager!

Comrade nathan

HSC
I haven't read most of this thread, but my say is that everyone deserves to have an education free from stress caused by bullying.

This applies to Yanks too.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Oh yeah, anyway.

George W. Bush was banned 4life from this forum.

Was he put on trial? NO!
Did he receive a fair trial? NO! HE WASN'T PUT ON TRIAL!
Were his economic policies (see the economics forum circa 2004) even taken into consideration upon banning him 4life? NO!

IS THIS DEMOCRACY! OR IS THIS ANTI-AMERICANISM, THE NEW FORM OF ANTI-SEMITISM. Oh wait, the left are still in to the latter. Hrmm. I'll think up something cooler later.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Tulipa said:
yay lets generalise about a population of 295 million people (give or take)

lets say that every single one of them deserves the verbal abuse alleged in the article, cause hey they're annoying yanks that must agree with George W. Bush.

lets equate one President's ideals and policies to a population that barely elected and re-elected him.

It's bullshit, yeah there may be select incidents where it was "taking the piss" but really verbal abuse from some Australians can get to be a lot to take. It's degrading and can be pretty shocking.

I've had a friend give me and my family shit when Bush was re-elected just because we were American. Let's insult people about their country of origin. We often get fired up about other racist comments, so why not this?
Because alot of people seem to hate discrimination.... as long as it's not towards males/whites/americans :)

Comrade nathan

HSC
I think there is a bit of clash of culture invovled. It seems Americans are more sensitive to harsh criticism of their government, while we are have less respect for out government.

Alot of people assume white people are very much the same, but as evident you can offend and American quickly, due to culture difference. People need to be more cauition when talking to people from another nation.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Tulipa said:
yay lets generalise about a population of 295 million people (give or take)

lets say that every single one of them deserves the verbal abuse alleged in the article, cause hey they're annoying yanks that must agree with George W. Bush.

lets equate one President's ideals and policies to a population that barely elected and re-elected him.

It's bullshit, yeah there may be select incidents where it was "taking the piss" but really verbal abuse from some Australians can get to be a lot to take. It's degrading and can be pretty shocking.

I've had a friend give me and my family shit when Bush was re-elected just because we were American. Let's insult people about their country of origin. We often get fired up about other racist comments, so why not this?
But it's not racisim unless it's against a minority group. Sorry, that doesn't include white americans. :rolleyes:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
White Rabbit said:
But it's not racisim unless it's against a minority group. Sorry, that doesn't include white americans. :rolleyes:
Women make up 60% of the university campus, and aparently they're an oppressed minority.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Comrade nathan said:
I think there is a bit of clash of culture invovled. It seems Americans are more sensitive to harsh criticism of their government, while we are have less respect for out government.

Alot of people assume white people are very much the same, but as evident you can offend and American quickly, due to culture difference. People need to be more cauition when talking to people from another nation.

That is very true, they are generally more sensitive, however I've seen aussies take it too far, and people don't accept it's just as bad as the racial vilification of any minority group. Just because they're not a minority doesn't mean it should be open season on all americans

Comrade nathan

HSC
White Rabbit said:
That would mean that the South African aparthiad state was not racist.

Racism is the idea of one race being superior above other inferior races. Regardless if the race is a minority or majority.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
withoutaface said:
Women make up 60% of the university campus, and aparently they're an oppressed minority.
At Bathurst, it's 7 women to one bloke, and we're still a percived minority. I agree with your point though, and still think it's a joke..

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Comrade nathan said:
That would mean that the South African aparthiad state was not racist.

Racism is the idea of one race being superior above other inferior races. Regardless if the race is a minority or majority.

Mate, I was being sarcastic - as in pointing out how many people don't see verbal abuse of americans as a bad thing simply because they're americans. Many people refuse to acknowledge ANYONE can be a racist, just as ANYONE can be the victim of it.

Comrade nathan

HSC
White Rabbit said:
Mate, I was being sarcastic - as in pointing out how many people don't see verbal abuse of americans as a bad thing simply because they're americans. Many people refuse to acknowledge ANYONE can be a racist, just as ANYONE can be the victim of it.
Oh, i gather that by your reply to my post, it took awhile to come up on the forum.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
It has died down a lot now but during the periods in which the Iraq war was getting massive media coverage there was a lot of hate being thrown around. As schools go mine is very tolerant and open minded but it was still cool to hate America for quite some time. I'm half American myself and while you can take the comments lightly at first, they begin to wear you down. If you hear "I fuckign hate Americans. They are all arrogant bastards." again and again, two times a day then it becomes harder to rationalise it all and to remind yourself that they're not distinguishing political generalisations from qualities of a nation of people. I'm American , I have a lot of people I know and love over there and it really isn't very comforting to hear others preach hate from the rooftops in such a way that it includes those people you love. I'm not identifiably American, having grown up here, so I never ran into the degree of problems that the university students did but I can understand why they would leave. Even if the single comments aren't too bad, imagine if the majority of your daily interactions were laced with negativity and words of hate linked to you through your place of birth.

Edit: Day, not week :p

Last edited:

bitchgirl

University Life
HSC
why the hate with american citizens?, more than half the country itself hates their own president , and americans get abused just because they have a shitty president, even though, people around the world still love the american culture..

hip hop... yeah! :D

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
The same people who defend America-bashing are probably the same leftist fools who support 'gay rights' and other anti-discrimination movements. Fucking hypocrites, I'll take my VSU over them anyday.

Save the trees indeed.

cayte

Comrade nathan said:
"It's unbelievable," he said. "It's been war. People are scared. It is hard to be an American in Australia at the moment, it is really hard. It varies with different people, but you have to be quiet and try not to draw attention to yourself."
A quiet american? Yeah, right. I'll bet that's hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)