• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Studies of Religion Marathon (1 Viewer)

HSC
No pressure but with 2 weeks to go does anyone wanna start revising with a SOR marathon? Doesn't matter if you do 1 or 2unit..

first person asks a question..next person answers then asks the next question..and so on

Question: what is the difference between inter-faith dialogue and ecumenism and give an example of each

goliwog

HSC
No pressure but with 2 weeks to go does anyone wanna start revising with a SOR marathon? Doesn't matter if you do 1 or 2unit..

first person asks a question..next person answers then asks the next question..and so on

Question: what is the difference between inter-faith dialogue and ecumenism and give an example of each
hahah i so wanted to sign up as joeyjojoshabado but i had to settle with Goliwog hahaha anywho ill try to answer this then

Inter-faith dialouge is a council or forum between leaders of varient denominations of the same faith. For example I.c.c.o.r.e.i.s (Inter-church Commision on Religious education in schools) gather a number of denominations to decide what scripture doctrines and methods will be taught at school . In this way a single scripture teacher can represent many denominations in the public education system. Ecumenism is a forum of various faiths for example the council of christians and jews which is active in sydney and seek to promote understanding between the two faiths.

Is that right ? now am i ment to ask another question ?

HSC
oh and with your answer..u were like SPOT ON ..only u mixed them up hehe

but yeah thats what this is all about..learning from each other

so inter-faith dialogue- communication of various faith/traditions

ecumenism- variants within christianity

all clear?

matty fwd

HSC
is ecumenism just variants with christianity? or variants of any religious tradition?

HSC
nup just within Christianity.. yeah i always thought it was within any tradition but apparently not...

dammit..our marathon has come to a stop

NEXT QUESTION: Define the dreaming

(whoever answers this dont forget to ask the next question)

matty fwd

HSC
joeyjojoshabado said:
nup just within Christianity.. yeah i always thought it was within any tradition but apparently not...

dammit..our marathon has come to a stop

NEXT QUESTION: Define the dreaming

(whoever answers this dont forget to ask the next question)

I find its easier to not bother with aboriginal spirituality notes....just say the first thing that comes to your mind :D

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
THE SCARY THING IS that Llama and I were wondering about starting a SoR Marathon just the other day! hahahaha, and I shall answer ur dreaming question:

Dreaming is the centre of Aboriginal religion and life; it is the closest translation of the Aboriginal concept of how the world works. Dreaming can be defined as the past, the present and the future. It consists of the belief that Ancestral Beings leave the world full of signs of their goodwill. These signs are then followed by their ancestors ensuring a continual pattern of good fortune. Major rituals associated with The Dreaming convey a sense of mystery by symbolisms pointing to ultimate or metaphysical realities that show themselves by signs. (Metaphysical things are those things which relate to the origin and structure of the universe)

The Dreaming regulates kinship held by Aboriginals to the land/environment which have a common soul/spirit and so are bound. It is mainly down through Sacred Stories and Art. Similarly, the Dreaming emphasises the Aborginial inextricable contact with the land. It also is comprised of such components as Sacred Objects and Songs.

Ok, next question:

Account for religious conversion and explain the trends that have been witnessed as a result of denominational switching.

Good Luck all!

goliwog

HSC
Account for religious conversion and explain the trends that have been witnessed as a result of denominational switching.
The pentecostal churches , unlike other protestant churches which have declined increased in congregation by 16% from 1991-1996. 3 quarters of this growth however came about from people switching from denominations A survey known as the national Church life survey took place in 1996 surveying 7000 protestant congregations. The survey found that 29% of congregants had switched denomination in the past five years. This switching may be because of the appealingness to younger audiences. for example at the Christian city church %70 of atendees are aged from 15to 39. Pentecostal meetings also usually involve an invitation to people to make a sign that they wish tio recieve christ. This may explain a number of conversions in australia.

well thats all I got hmm a question

Explain how Aboriginal beliefs about the land contributed to the Land rights Movement.

Last edited:

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
joeyjojoshabado said:
i made the move of a SOR marathon BEFORE the all powerful and superior big bloggers!

meh, im claiming it!
And for that I <3 you very much joeyjojoshabado...ahhhh

goliwog said:
Explain how Aboriginal beliefs about the land contributed to the Land rights Movement.
Well in the driving off the Aboriginals of their land, the european people did more than just deprived them of their property... they also deprived them of their land which is central to the Aboriginal spiritual life. The land gave the Aboriginal people an inextricable connection to their spirituality as it is alive with the spirits of their ancestors, central to cultural and ritual actions and is the source of the Dreaming. It also provides them with independence as hunters and gathers and the control of the land gives them control of their lives. These beliefs that the whole Aboriginal way of life was intrinsically linked with the land helped to overrule such things as 'terra nullius' during the 1992 Mabo judgement where the Meriam people found themsleves entitled to the possesion of the Murray Islands. In contemporary context it allows Aboriginies to integrate their traditional life with western styles of living and empowers them to negotiate with groups who wish to use their land. And ther's more but I can't be bothered writing it :|

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
joeyjojoshabado said:
i made the move of a SOR marathon BEFORE the all powerful and superior big bloggers!

meh, im claiming it!
hahahahahahaha.... I wasn't going to take it from you. I'm just impressed by ur greatness. (Because you read the minds of the powerful and superior big bloggers! :D)

oi llamaness.... leave the next question noob!

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
matty fwd said:
is ecumenism just variants with christianity? or variants of any religious tradition?
The word "ecumenism" (ek-yoo-muh-niz-uhm) is derived from the Greek oikoumene, which means "the inhabited world". The term is usually used with regard to movements toward religious unity. In its most broad meaning therefore, ecumenism is the religious initiative towards world-wide unity. At a minimum, ecumenism is the promotion of unity, co-operation, or improved understanding between distinct religious groups or denominations within the same religion more or less broadly defined.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecumenism

I prefer
The movement which seeks to achieve unity of Christians within the Church and ultimately of all humanity throughout the world.
dlibrary.acu.edu.au/research/theology/theo305/glossary.htm
*taps foot waiting for next question

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
wm_abusef said:
hahahahahahaha.... I wasn't going to take it from you. I'm just impressed by ur greatness. (Because you read the minds of the powerful and superior big bloggers! :D)

oi llamaness.... leave the next question noob!
Shhhh I just mildly forgot it was a marathon!

Okay.
Outline the involvement of the Catholic church in the labour movement post WWII

Charli-lou

HSC
luscious-llama said:
Okay.
Outline the involvement of the Catholic church in the labour movement post WWII

in the 1950's-60's the catholic community within Australia was altering due to immigration and an upward social mobility was generated by full employment and economic growth. where at first the Catholic church supported the ideals of the labour movement this changed through the involvement of both B.A Santamaria and Archbishop Daniel Mannix and the formation of The Catholic Social Studies Movement. The Movement(as it was more commonly known) was a secretive organisation which sought to erradicate communism within Labour party and trade union movement. in 1993 more Catholics voted for liberal than labour, the fact that the Catholic church is one of the largest non-Government employers in Australia and this has affected their role in the labour movement.

ok so i dont know if i was talkin junk just then so PLEASE someone correct me if i am wrong...

ok question for the next person...

Identify two characteristics of Penticostalism (the charismatic movement)

goliwog

HSC
The Penticostal movement puts emphasis on the gifts of the holy spirit and encourages that all members can get closer to God by obtaining these gifts such as speaking in toungues or prophesy. Penticostalism has also gained credence in younger audiences as the majority are aged between 16-25 and have switched denominations. Penticostal churches grew by 16 % from 1991-1996 due to denominational switching.

Describe the major beliefs and practices of new age religions

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Charli-lou said:
Just cause Im anally retentive

1) iIs PentEcostalism and
2) Pentecostalism and the charismatic movement are technically two separate entities ie should be familiar with both, not just Pentecostalism as is evidenced in the above answer
from the syllabus
Pentecostalism and the charismatic movement

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
Correct me if I am wrong Snapper, but the Charismatic Movement, wouldn't that have actually originated within the more established traditions first? So it's not just the Pentecostal church (which should actually be considered more of a "result" of the charismatic movement?)

Considering its a movement, it would have been part of the outbreaks that were seen within the Catholic and Anglican churches for example, as people started to take on the greater charismatic style of worship, dedication and belief (in the gifts of the Holy Spirit etc)

goliwog

HSC
from what I have gathered the only difference between pentecostals and chrasmatics is that Chrasmatics still hold thier ties to the catholic church. They still perform the 7 sacraments were as Pentecostals usually at the most perform two being communion (known as the eucharist) and baptism.

perhaps that should of been in my answer ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)